California girl, 9, shot at mall was waiting to take photos

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

California girl, 9, shot at mall was waiting to take photos

Postby jdege on Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:19 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-girl-shot-mall-waiting-photos-easter-bunny
California girl, 9, shot at mall was waiting to take photos with Easter Bunny, report says
Suspect arrested in Nevada, bail set at $1 million
A 9-year-old California girl mistakenly shot Tuesday at a mall when a store owner opened fire on alleged shoplifters was waiting to take photos with the Easter Bunny, according to a local report.

[...]

A stray bullet had struck the child when authorities say Marquel Cockrell, the co-owner of Sole Addicts, chased multiple people he accused of shoplifting out of the store and opened fire, the report said. He missed the intended targets, striking the child instead and quickly fled the scene.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the right way to do it.
jdege

Re: California girl, 9, shot at mall was waiting to take photos

Postby xd ED on Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:07 pm

Do people in kalifornia do anything right?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:30 pm

Can't be, pretty certain all their gun laws made this impossible to occur.
Holland&Holland

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:06 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Can't be, pretty certain all their gun laws made this impossible to occur.

THIS

But guessing some new laws will be introduced.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Sorcerer on Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:07 am

The real question is, will “they” burn down just the store or the whole mall.
Sorcerer

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:40 pm

Bail? Seriously?
Bearcatrp

Postby TSKNIGHT on Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:32 pm

Moron chasing a shoplifter and decided to lob a few rounds after said shoplifter while running in a crowded mall. What could possibly go wrong!?
This is one good guy with a gun the world could do without. Hopefully they throw the book at him.

Yes, I'm being hard on the shooter. He lobbed rounds after a shoplifter over a pair of shoes. The last time I checked shoplifting didn't qualify for the death penalty.
IMO he should have been charged even if he hadn't hit the girl.
TSKNIGHT

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:10 pm

TSKNIGHT wrote:Moron chasing a shoplifter and decided to lob a few rounds after said shoplifter while running in a crowded mall. What could possibly go wrong!?
This is one good guy with a gun the world could do without. Hopefully they throw the book at him.

Yes, I'm being hard on the shooter. He lobbed rounds after a shoplifter over a pair of shoes. The last time I checked shoplifting didn't qualify for the death penalty.

While I agree with you that the guy shooting was reckless and negligent, that doesn’t mean the thief deserves anything. If you feel stealing is not that bad, when should they come by to take your stuff?
Holland&Holland

Postby TSKNIGHT on Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:56 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
TSKNIGHT wrote:Moron chasing a shoplifter and decided to lob a few rounds after said shoplifter while running in a crowded mall. What could possibly go wrong!?

While I agree with you that the guy shooting was reckless and negligent, that doesn’t mean the thief deserves anything. If you feel stealing is not that bad, when should they come by to take your stuff?

You read more into my statement than was said.
The thief doesn't deserve to walk away free, but the death penalty for petty theft is a bit extreme IMO.
The shop owner was well within his rights to pursue the shoplifter, although haphazardly lobbing rounds after him was well beyond reasonable. The shoplifter was running away, not threatening anyone. There was no justification for the use of deadly force.

Of course this is all based on a news article which we now all too well are seldom accurate.
TSKNIGHT

Return to In The News