Oh God, not again.

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Oh God, not again.

Postby Lumpy on Wed May 25, 2022 11:54 am

This has been a terrible year for shootings. :evil: If we're going to fend off serious attempts to broadly restrict firearms possession, something has to be done.
Lumpy

Re: Oh God, not again.

Postby LarryFlew on Wed May 25, 2022 1:56 pm

Lumpy wrote:This has been a terrible year for shootings. :evil: If we're going to fend off serious attempts to broadly restrict firearms possession, something has to be done.

It was on news feeds at the same time as the shooting first information - Dems NEED to convince legislators that are doing nothing about gun control and crime prevention. Pelosi echoed the same statement later in the evening with other Dems saying WE NEED GUN CONTROL AND BACKGROUND CHECKS.

Seems they never get the fact that murder is already illegal so what gun buyer with crime of any kind on his mind is buying through a legal FFL???????
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby xd ED on Wed May 25, 2022 5:28 pm

The first step is to make safety a higher priority than the desire for political opportunity to occur; to universally WANT to make people, and schools safer.

Then, we start by making schools at least as safe as lumber yards, and banks.

Here's a four years old article, citing practices of the past 40+ years, that have made Israeli schools safe.

Israel Has Only Had 2 School Attacks in 44 Years, Here's How They Make Sure Their Kids Are Safe - The Western Journal.com

In 1974, Palestinian terrorists took over the Netiv Meir Elementary School in what has been called the “Ma’alot Massacre,” which left 22 children dead and many others injured.

The attack forced Israel to come up with a solution in order to prevent such a situation from ever happening again. The nation requires its schools to have a security system, and that policy is still going strong after 40 years.

The results are clearly evident, as there have only been two successful attacks at Israeli schools since 1974, according to Dr. Ted Noel, writing in American Thinker. Noel wrote that “in both cases, the bad guys were killed by armed teachers.”
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 25, 2022 6:50 pm

Guys, you know you can’t rule an armed populace. It is not about safety or the children, it is about control.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Wed May 25, 2022 7:20 pm

xd ED wrote:Then, we start by making schools at least as safe as lumber yards, and banks.

Here's a four years old article, citing practices of the past 40+ years, that have made Israeli schools safe.

That would be the logical solution. Unfortunately, too many people define "safe" as "the non-existence of possible threats". That's why they believe in magical gun-free zones, a bubble of happy land in which nothing bad can ever happen. The Israelis didn't have the luxury of pretending that was possible.
Lumpy

Postby xd ED on Wed May 25, 2022 7:28 pm

Lumpy wrote:
xd ED wrote:Then, we start by making schools at least as safe as lumber yards, and banks.

That would be the logical solution. Unfortunately, too many people define "safe" as "the non-existence of possible threats". That's why they believe in magical gun-free zones, a bubble of happy land in which nothing bad can ever happen. The Israelis didn't have the luxury of pretending that was possible.

True. We (the USA) tend to loose interest in anything less than immediate gratification sold to the lowest common denominator...which right now, is pretty low.
And John Lott has proven time and time again about not only the fallacy of gun-free zones, but the added danger they present.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 25, 2022 8:24 pm

I don’t know that’s true, we can stay very foc …. Wait, Squirrel!!!!
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Wed May 25, 2022 8:31 pm

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/back-off-dude-ill-shoot-you-grandmother-said-she-killed-home-intruder-who-was-never-fazed-by-gun-warning-shots/
‘Back Off, Dude, I’ll Shoot You’: Grandmother Said She Killed Home Intruder Who Was ‘Never Fazed’ by Gun, Warning Shots
Mixed feelings abound after an older Florida woman said she shot and killed a man who had broken into her home.
Virginia Morrison, 69, told outlets she was protecting herself and her partner after a stranger—later identified as Ezequiel Rosario-Torres, 38—entered her home on Sunday, said nothing, and refused to leave, even in the face of separate warning shots.

“I have feelings. I have God in my life,” she told WOFL. “That’s my main thing: Wondering if God’s going to forgive me for taking a life. It bothers me.”
jdege

Postby Lumpy on Thu May 26, 2022 12:18 pm

jdege wrote:https://lawandcrime.com/crime/back-off-dude-ill-shoot-you-grandmother-said-she-killed-home-intruder-who-was-never-fazed-by-gun-warning-shots/
‘Back Off, Dude, I’ll Shoot You’: Grandmother Said She Killed Home Intruder Who Was ‘Never Fazed’ by Gun, Warning Shots

Apparently "suicide by armed homeowner" is now a thing...
Lumpy

Postby daleamn on Thu May 26, 2022 3:28 pm

Let's not forget that after Sandy Hook the NRA put together a report on how to 'harden' schools against attacks that was over 200 pages long. But of course the 'media' couldn't give the NRA credit for 'doing something' could they?

Also, all these legislators that are 'doing nothing' and 'have done nothing'----it might just be that they have been protecting our rights.

Also again: If the legislators are just pawns to the monied 'gun lobby' and the NRA and are so easily bought then why don't the gun grabbers buy 'em back? I did a check once on political donations and found out the NRA was a huge donor of money to political campaigns. OH WAIT!!! It WASN'T the National Rifle Association, NRA, it was the National Association of Realtors, NAR.

https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-lob ... p-spenders

Full disclosure: the ins and outs of political lobbying and donations is beyond me and I could EASILY be misinterpreting the data from the site above.
daleamn

Postby jdege on Thu May 26, 2022 3:35 pm

jdege

Postby yukonjasper on Thu May 26, 2022 3:43 pm

Is anyone seeing the discussions going on about where an 18 YO gets the money to buy the hardware that he allegedly purchased to commit these murders and come into possession of the $60k-$80k Ford F250 he crashed outside the school. Supposedly, he was bullied because he was poor. I'm no expert, but supposedly the rifles shown were high end with high end optics etc. It will be interesting to see how transparent this becomes. The Black Supremacist subway shooter and the guy who drove through the holiday parade in Wisconsin seemed to fade quickly when the narrative criteria didn't match up. They are definitely hanging onto crazy replacement manifesto dude, they won't let that fade........
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby jdege on Fri May 27, 2022 12:19 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Is anyone seeing the discussions going on about where an 18 YO gets the money to buy the hardware that he allegedly purchased to commit these murders and come into possession of the $60k-$80k Ford F250 he crashed outside the school. Supposedly, he was bullied because he was poor.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2022/05/27/texas-department-of-public-safety-admits-they-made-grave-error-in-not-breaching-c-n2607903
Ramos had 58 magazines with him, though not all were found on his person when he was finally neutralized by police.
jdege

Postby ijosef on Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:04 pm

I don't know why but I have a different feeling after the Uvalde shooting and the other shootings that followed in its wake. While hard cases like Sandy Hook didn't result in any new gun control measures in the recent past, I think we will have some new laws passed because of this. I can't explain it and I obviously don't have any hard evidence that this will indeed happen - just a nagging suspicion. I could be completely wrong.
ijosef

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:09 am

ijosef wrote:I don't know why but I have a different feeling after the Uvalde shooting and the other shootings that followed in its wake. While hard cases like Sandy Hook didn't result in any new gun control measures in the recent past, I think we will have some new laws passed because of this. I can't explain it and I obviously don't have any hard evidence that this will indeed happen - just a nagging suspicion. I could be completely wrong.

Washington has changed, we have just the thinnest of influence there. Something will pass.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to In The News