VISA/MASTERCARD asked to reject 'Ghost Gun' purchases

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

VISA/MASTERCARD asked to reject 'Ghost Gun' purchases

Postby daleamn on Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:24 am

Is there no end to the silliness?
A chorus of prosecutors, gun legislation advocates, law enforcement officials, and corporate shareholders are calling on global credit card giants Visa and Mastercard to stop facilitating payments for “ghost guns”.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/ma ... 82a2764e39

Well I'm sure the people that think this is a Good Idea are just waiting for MY list of things I don't want VISA/MASTERCARD to be used for. Oh wait. They probably think they should be able to buy whatever they want.

Thankfully VISA/MASTERCARD seem to be thinking this would NOT be in their best interests.
daleamn

Re: VISA/MASTERCARD asked to reject 'Ghost Gun' purchases

Postby jdege on Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:04 am

https://fortune.com/2021/02/18/bitcoin-censorship-political-repression-deplatforming-china-belarus-russia-nigeria-crypto/
Bitcoin offers freedom from political repression—and that’s a key to its future
Freedom from financial oppression
Bitcoin usage in emerging markets is increasing rapidly, albeit from a small base. And while it’s true that Bitcoin can be a better alternative for unbanked peoples who don’t have the means, access, or even the basic proof of identity to open a bank account, it turns out its biggest benefit today for many people is that Bitcoin is censorship-resistant. In other words, government cannot throttle, control or monitor your behavior as they can in the legacy financial world. Consider the following examples from Nigeria, India, Belarus, China, and Russia (collectively home to 3 billion people).

In 2020, protests against the government erupted in Lagos and across Nigeria because of the brutal and illegal actions of a unit in the police force called the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS). Within days, groups supporting the protesters had their bank accounts frozen. With no other option, they turned to Bitcoin, raising funds that sustained the movement.

[...]

Bitcoin, of course, has value beyond protest movements. One area where it is gaining traction is as a replacement for cash. Cash is essential to financial freedom because it allows for anonymous transactions and private, free exchanges of money outside state surveillance. Regrettably, cash is also in terminal decline, and this trend is not new. For decades, credit card payments have chipped away at cash’s role in our economy. The pandemic accelerated that decline as reports (later proved false) that cash was a carrier of COVID-19 caused many merchants to switch to card-only.

In the two largest developing economies, China and India, governments have taken steps to reduce cash in the economy. In China, the government wants to replace many transactions with a central bank digital alternative to keep a closer eye on how people spend money. In India, with a clumsy attempt to limit the role of cash in the informal economy and to crack down on counterfeiting, the government took high-denomination notes out of circulation.

The demise of cash highlights the need for a digital alternative to ensure private, safe payments between individuals. For example, in a China without cash, your access to credit, payments, and savings can simply be switched off if you disagree with the government, a form of financial deplatforming. Unsurprisingly, China has cracked down on Bitcoin. This battle between the most powerful surveillance state ever created and the most powerful stateless money ever created will be worth watching.

[...]

Regardless of your politics, the ability of big technology firms with unelected leaders to silence individuals and groups should be unsettling. Equally troubling is an administrative state imposing draconian rules to limit how we spend and save our money and to suppress free trade. Fortunately, regulators and policymakers in the U.S., Canada, and a few other countries have taken a more enlightened view of Bitcoin. The best solution, perhaps, is one where Bitcoin and other forms of money like the U.S. dollar thrive side by side, performing different and important roles in our economy and our lives.
jdege

Postby Lumpy on Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:24 pm

The gun control crowd has been pushing for decades to "delegitimize" firearms: treat them as though they were inherently illicit and illegal even when they're not. See for example the U.N. Small Arms Treaty.
Lumpy

Postby jdege on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:50 pm

Lumpy wrote:The gun control crowd has been pushing for decades to "delegitimize" firearms: treat them as though they were inherently illicit and illegal even when they're not. See for example the U.N. Small Arms Treaty.

And every government in the world has been pushing to gain absolute control over everything everyone of their citizens does.

US financial tracking isn't as bad as China's, but it's pretty damned bad.
jdege

Postby BigBlue on Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:47 pm

One more reason why a cashless society is an AWFUL idea. Never let that happen.
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:52 pm

BigBlue wrote:One more reason why a cashless society is an AWFUL idea. Never let that happen.

I think you are a bit too late for that. Even our "cash" today is really not cash anymore, just a slip of paper.
Holland&Holland

Postby daleamn on Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:17 pm

Even our "cash" today is really not cash anymore, just a slip of paper.

For heaven sakes, PLEASE, keep that to yourself.
daleamn

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:43 pm

daleamn wrote:

Don’t worry Biden is working on making it not matter.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:17 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
daleamn wrote:

Don’t worry Biden is working on making it not matter.

On the plus side, there will be an abundance of cheap wallpaper....

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Lumpy on Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:29 pm

I know there are "goldbugs" but they're mainly into hoarding gold against the coming collapse. Is anyone currently using gold or silver routinely for market transactions?
Lumpy

Postby daleamn on Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:42 pm

Everything is relative.
I remember this joke about after the economic collaspe of society.
A farmer is facing two guys from the city.
The first guy says, "I saw the collaspe coming and invested my money in gold coins."
"Fine," says the farmer, "how many gold coins are you willing to give me for a chicken?"
The gold guy sputters and turns away.
The second guy says, "I saw the collaspe coming and invested my money in ammunition."
"Fine," says the farmer, "how many chickens do you want for a box of ammo?"
It's all relative.
daleamn

Postby Lumpy on Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:25 pm

That's how I see it: if it ever comes down to USD being effectively worthless, I doubt there's going to be much of a market economy at all.
Lumpy

Return to In The News