ATF agents investigating a straw purchase?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: ATF agents investigating a straw purchase?

Postby BigBlue on Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:58 am

Scratch wrote:3.If the dealer gives up their license (all paperwork has to get sent in then)

Number 3 is the most worrisome option. Most people don’t keep their job forever and eventually, they’ll give up their FFL and have to send in every record they have.

Boom, registration.

I wonder if it would be a good idea for some gun owners association/group to form an FFL that could 'buy out' any FFL that wants to go out of business and then run that FFL in perpetuity to keep the paperwork from heading to the feds? I'd pay to be a shareholder of a company like that in order to guard against feds making their database larger.
BigBlue

Re: ATF agents investigating a straw purchase?

Postby Scratch on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:41 pm

BigBlue wrote:
Scratch wrote:3.If the dealer gives up their license (all paperwork has to get sent in then)

Number 3 is the most worrisome option. Most people don’t keep their job forever and eventually, they’ll give up their FFL and have to send in every record they have.

Boom, registration.

I wonder if it would be a good idea for some gun owners association/group to form an FFL that could 'buy out' any FFL that wants to go out of business and then run that FFL in perpetuity to keep the paperwork from heading to the feds? I'd pay to be a shareholder of a company like that in order to guard against feds making their database larger.

Not sure how that would work. You have to be engaged in the business of doing transfers, so whoever is on the FFL has to keep doing transfers, but you’d have different people on the FFL at different times as people give it up. Sounds like it could be a nightmare.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Previous

Return to In The News