Minneapolis firearms instructor takes aim at gun culture's t

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Minneapolis firearms instructor takes aim at gun culture's t

Postby jdege on Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:29 pm

https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-firearms-instructor-takes-aim-at-gun-cultures-toxic-masculinity-including-his-own/600217709/
Minneapolis firearms instructor takes aim at gun culture's toxic masculinity, including his own
With gun ownership rising and its demographics broadening, Mick Sharpe teaches those who — like him — defy stereotypes.
Mick Sharpe looks like he could have bounced you from a bar last night. Bearded and burly, he's wide enough to block a doorway, copiously tattooed and pierced, with ear tunnels big enough to pass a quarter.

But on a Sunday morning, above a south Minneapolis storefront, Sharpe is preaching. Under a Black Lives Matter and rainbow pride flag, the 47-year-old firearms instructor unleashes aphorisms by the round:

"Your goal is not to win a fight. It's to realize a fight might happen and not be there when it does."

"We don't shoot to kill. We shoot to live."
jdege

Re: Minneapolis firearms instructor takes aim at gun culture's t

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:58 pm

Strib, can't see.

But, I suspect they skewed the story a bit.
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:29 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Strib, can't see.

Try https://12ft.io/?embedded_webview=true
jdege

Postby xd ED on Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:19 pm

jdege wrote:

Try https://12ft.io/?embedded_webview=true

SWEET!

:thankyou:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Lumpy on Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:33 pm

It's mixed; sort of "guns are bad, but-" It focuses on gun ownership by women, gays, people of color and liberal.
Lumpy

Postby warrlac on Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:46 pm

I've seen the PR on this guy before. Defy's stereotypes, etc...

All tatted-up and looks butch as hell, but his clients are urban woke wanna-bees. You're 26th & Blaisdell, Senstative New Age Guy (SNAG) is going to feel all roided-up ( for 30 minutes ) when he takes this guy's class in whatever walk-up studio he's currently renting.

Can you say "Urban Legend"?
warrlac

Postby jdege on Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:56 pm

I'd assumed the preconceptions regarding ordinary gun owners was bias on the part of the reporter.

Is it Sharpe's? If so is it real? Or is it a marketing ploy?
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:14 pm

Read it in the Sunday paper (yes I still get a real paper). My impression of the instructor is that he has some unresolved personal issues himself and would not be who I would search out for instruction. That said, I honestly think he is seeing a market segment that a certain mode of marketing works. Gotta love free market forces. ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby MasonK on Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:11 pm

LOL- I know this guy; we worked together years ago. He was a real piece of work back then, and I see that he's only gotten worse.

In the first week of knowing him you liked the guy because he was really funny, but then you heard the same recycled jokes ad nauseam and realized he was one of the biggest narcissists you could ever meet. He was God's gift to everything and no one knew more about any subject than he did. It doesn't surprise me that he'd pull a gun on a third party in a car since I felt like we were constantly about a minute away from him pulling a gun on someone at work (coworker or customer). One time the boss, who was a woman, asked him if he was refusing an order from a superior. He told me later that day that "she might be my boss, but she sure as hell isn't my superior!" That isn't toxic masculinity, that's just being an a--hole.

Hearing him talk about unwinding "toxic masculinity" is a bit funny since reading his Facebook feed it looks like he's redirected his efforts to "toxic leftism". This guy was bad news back in the day, he's bad news now. I'm not buying his tale of reformation because that leopard can't change his spots.
MasonK

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:31 pm

MasonK wrote:LOL- I know this guy; we worked together years ago. He was a real piece of work back then, and I see that he's only gotten worse.

In the first week of knowing him you liked the guy because he was really funny, but then you heard the same recycled jokes ad nauseam and realized he was one of the biggest narcissists you could ever meet. He was God's gift to everything and no one knew more about any subject than he did. It doesn't surprise me that he'd pull a gun on a third party in a car since I felt like we were constantly about a minute away from him pulling a gun on someone at work (coworker or customer). One time the boss, who was a woman, asked him if he was refusing an order from a superior. He told me later that day that "she might be my boss, but she sure as hell isn't my superior!" That isn't toxic masculinity, that's just being an a--hole.

Hearing him talk about unwinding "toxic masculinity" is a bit funny since reading his Facebook feed it looks like he's redirected his efforts to "toxic leftism". This guy was bad news back in the day, he's bad news now.

I'm not buying his tale of reformation because that leopard can't change his spots.

Sounds about right.
Holland&Holland

Postby sansooshooter on Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:20 am

I hope this guy is enlightening these urbanites to also get involved in protecting their right to own firearms, politically.
sansooshooter

Return to In The News