Off-Duty Cop Accidentally Shoots Himself, Kills Man While Tr

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Off-Duty Cop Accidentally Shoots Himself, Kills Man While Tr

Postby jdege on Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:12 pm

https://policetribune.com/off-duty-cop-accidentally-shoots-himself-kills-man-while-trying-to-clean-gun/
Off-Duty Cop Accidentally Shoots Himself, Kills Man While Trying To Clean Gun
Salinas, CA – An off-duty Santa Cruz police officer accidentally shot himself and fatally wounded another man as he was cleaning his personal firearm last week, according to investigators.

[...]

According to Salinas Police Department (SPD) investigators, Santa Cruz Police Department (SCPD) Officer Francisco Villicana, 22, was off-duty and preparing to clean his personal firearm when he unintentionally discharged the weapon.

[...]

Investigators said the fatal shooting appears to have been a “tragic accident,” but the Monterey County District Attorney’s Office’s investigation is still ongoing, according to the Monterey Herald.

The SPD said it does not plan to recommend criminal charges, KION reported.
jdege

Re: Off-Duty Cop Accidentally Shoots Himself, Kills Man While Tr

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:19 pm

Very sad.

Is it truly “unintentional” when you pull the trigger though? Sure the result was not intended but the action was.
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:21 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Is it truly “unintentional” when you pull the trigger though? Sure the result was not intended but the action was.

He apparently put a round through his own hand.

Last time I heard of that happening was someone "demonstrating" the safeties on an M1911A1, including the slide disconnect...
See? If you push the slide back a bit it won't fire...
jdege

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:25 am

So this assclown violates 3 of the 4 safe gun handling rules, shoots himself and kills a bystander (friend?).

Sorry, that's negligence not an accident.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:03 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:So this assclown violates 3 of the 4 safe gun handling rules, shoots himself and kills a bystander (friend?).

This
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:21 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:So this assclown violates 3 of the 4 safe gun handling rules, shoots himself and kills a bystander (friend?).

Negligence, at best.

I suspect intentional idiocy.
jdege

Postby Sorcerer on Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:53 am

Originally the right bays at Bill’s Robinsdale was law enforcement only. I was probably one of the first civilians to get to shoot on that side. I was amazed at how shot up that entire side of bays was. Looked way worse than the civilian side. Ceiling light baffles, walls, shooting position tables, even the floor. Stupidity is not just the realm of civilians. Not all law enforcement are gun savvy people.
Sorcerer

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:15 am

I wonder if the guy who was fatally shot was the same guy sleeping with the cops wife.......?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:51 am

Sorcerer wrote:Originally the right bays at Bill’s Robinsdale was law enforcement only. I was probably one of the first civilians to get to shoot on that side. I was amazed at how shot up that entire side of bays was. Looked way worse than the civilian side. Ceiling light baffles, walls, shooting position tables, even the floor. Stupidity is not just the realm of civilians. Not all law enforcement are gun savvy people.

I've read similar accounts of the Public safety Training Range in Edina.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:01 am

........Not all law enforcement are gun savvy people.

Should read some law enforcement people are gun savvy. I have know many more that hardly ever fire their guns than those that practice at all. Once or twice a year to qualify is not enough. Amazed more do not die in the line of duty when faced with adrenaline rush etc in an encounter. Probably means the perpetrator was just as bad.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby hard h2o on Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:06 am

The only major incident at my gun club was law enforcement. I understand he put a round through his foot. The story I heard was that his buddies had the boot bronzed and it is displayed at their HQ.
hard h2o

Postby Erud on Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:09 pm

When I first started getting into shooting, I shot a lot at one of the local indoor ranges. The only time I ever saw an overhead light get shot out it was from two cops shooting.
Erud

Postby Sorcerer on Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:51 pm

xd ED wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:Originally the right bays at Bill’s Robinsdale was law enforcement only. I was probably one of the first civilians to get to shoot on that side. I was amazed at how shot up that entire side of bays was. Looked way worse than the civilian side. Ceiling light baffles, walls, shooting position tables, even the floor. Stupidity is not just the realm of civilians. Not all law enforcement are gun savvy people.

I've read similar accounts of the Public safety Training Range in Edina.

I shot at the Edina range once many years ago during public hours. The RSOs were like mother hens. I’ve never been back.
Sorcerer

Return to In The News