Minneapolis makes it onto Active Self Protection

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Minneapolis makes it onto Active Self Protection

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:44 am

I hadn't heard about this one but I don't pay much attention to what goes on in the Cities these days.

Legal Warning Shot Used In Self Defense Encounter

Run time is 5:35

Jackpine Savage

Re: Minneapolis makes it onto Active Self Protection

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:08 pm

I doubt "warning shots" are actual legal in Minneapolis. I suspect the shooting was ruled self defense so that is what negated them from being an issue.
Holland&Holland

Postby Sorcerer on Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:30 pm

By the video it looks to be on the edge of being a good shoot. The down side is live rounds were sent out into the neighborhood. I’m not sure how to put this but, it looks like they “helped “the shot by pushing the gun out then firing the shot.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:34 am

Sorcerer wrote:By the video it looks to be on the edge of being a good shoot. The down side is live rounds were sent out into the neighborhood. I’m not sure how to put this but, it looks like they “helped “the shot by pushing the gun out then firing the shot.

Follow through is key ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:09 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:I doubt "warning shots" are actual legal in Minneapolis. I suspect the shooting was ruled self defense so that is what negated them from being an issue.

IANAL, but as I understand it it's not so much that warning shots are illegal but that any use of a firearm is considered deadly force. Meaning that use of warning shots is justified only in situations in which deadly force is justified.

There are situations in which use of less than deadly force in self defense is justified but use of deadly force is not - against threats less than deadly force, for example. In situations like that, warning shots are not considered less than deadly force.

Ditto with brandishing. While there's no specific "brandishing" law in Minnesota, displaying a weapon with the intent of causing fear is an assault. And drawing your gun in self defense is justified only in situations in which shooting the bastard is justified. It's not some lesser use of force. If a gun is involved, it's deadly force, and it's justified in self defense only against an immediate threat of death or grave injury.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:58 pm

jdege wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I doubt "warning shots" are actual legal in Minneapolis. I suspect the shooting was ruled self defense so that is what negated them from being an issue.

IANAL, but as I understand it it's not so much that warning shots are illegal but that any use of a firearm is considered deadly force. Meaning that use of warning shots is justified only in situations in which deadly force is justified.

There are situations in which use of less than deadly force in self defense is justified but use of deadly force is not - against threats less than deadly force, for example. In situations like that, warning shots are not considered less than deadly force.

Ditto with brandishing. While there's no specific "brandishing" law in Minnesota, displaying a weapon with the intent of causing fear is an assault. And drawing your gun in self defense is justified only in situations in which shooting the bastard is justified. It's not some lesser use of force. If a gun is involved, it's deadly force, and it's justified in self defense only against an immediate threat of death or grave injury.

I think that is what I said in not so many words. :cheers:
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:41 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:I think that is what I said in not so many words. :cheers:

What you said was too terse to be properly confusing...
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:01 pm

jdege wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I think that is what I said in not so many words. :cheers:

What you said was too terse to be properly confusing...

I specialize in that!
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News