Semiautomatic weapons ban becomes Illinois law

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Semiautomatic weapons ban becomes Illinois law

Postby minnesotatv on Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:22 am

Illinois banned the sale or possession of semiautomatic weapons Tuesday when
Gov. J.B. Pritzker signed legislation driven largely by the killing of seven people
at a 4th of July parade last year in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/semiau ... linois-law
minnesotatv

Re: Semiautomatic weapons ban becomes Illinois law

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:00 am

Coming here soon.
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:35 am

https://wgntv.com/news/illinois/pritzker-threatens-to-fire-police-for-not-enforcing-illinois-gun-ban/
Pritzker threatens to fire police for not enforcing Illinois gun ban
(WTVO) — After several Illinois law enforcement agencies said they won’t enforce the new gun ban, Gov. JB Pritzker had a strong response: Comply or hit the road.

“As are all law enforcement all across our state and they will in fact do their job or they won’t be in their job,” Pritzker said Tuesday during a press conference.

Locally, sheriff’s departments in Winnebago, Ogle, Stephenson, and Lee counties, among others, have said they will not enforce the new law, which makes more than 100 guns and magazines illegal because the state deems them “assault weapons.”
jdege

Postby xd ED on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:23 am

Illinois sheriffs say they will not enforce law requiring gun owners to register ‘assault weapons’ - WTVO News

Sheriffs from Winnebago, Ogle, Stephenson, Lee, DeKalb, Boone and other counties across the state announced Wednesday that they will not enforce Illinois’ recently passed law that requires current owners of “assault weapons” to register with the state.

“This appears to be another rush to judgment on a bill that was introduced with very little oversight and very little public review,” said Ogle County Sheriff Brian VanVickle.

“There is so many unknowns, it’s another one of those laws that passed that they put unrealistic expectations out there, and there is no way to follow those things up,” added Stephenson County Sheriff Steve Stovall.

Winnebago County Sheriff Gary Caruana, Lee County Sheriff Clayton Whelan and VanVickle issued similarly worded statements on Wednesday, saying:

“When I was sworn into office, I accepted the duty to protect the rights provided to all of us in the Constitution. One of those enumerated rights is the right of the people to keep and bear arms provided under the 2nd amendment.

“I, among many others, believe that HB 5471 is a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. Therefore, as the custodian of the jail and chief law enforcement official for Ogle County, proclaim that neither myself or my office will be checking to ensure that lawful gun owners register their weapons with the State, nor will we be arresting or housing individuals that have been charged solely with non-compliance of this Act,” the statements continued.

Given that these Sheriffs are elected in accordance with the state Constitution, this governor's threats to remove these men from office appear to be further evidence he is either unwilling, or unable to understand, and act in accordance with the law.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:09 pm

I wonder how this will apply to those “traveling through “ with an unloaded and cased firearm. Out of state Illinois hunters be careful. This will kill hand gun, 2 and 3 gun competition. You lever gun people are good to go. I can see a 5.56/223 lever gun coming to a store soon. A Henry 357 or 44 in a Henry’s mare’s leg. Chuck Conners all the way.
Sorcerer

Postby Lumpy on Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:13 pm

Is it just my impression or have the banners turned it up to 11 since the Bruen ruling? Like they aren't even pretending anymore to only want "reasonable" gun laws?
Lumpy

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:14 pm

Traveling through isn't a problem, just don't stop or get pulled over in state.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:44 pm

Sorcerer wrote:I wonder how this will apply to those “traveling through “ with an unloaded and cased firearm. Out of state Illinois hunters be careful. This will kill hand gun, 2 and 3 gun competition. You lever gun people are good to go. I can see a 5.56/223 lever gun coming to a store soon. A Henry 357 or 44 in a Henry’s mare’s leg. Chuck Conners all the way.

I haven't driven through IL in about 20 years. If I'm headed east I detour through the UP, much more scenic. If I'm headed southeast I'll head south through IA, MO, and cross the Mississippi at Caruthersville. They can take their state and shove it.
Jackpine Savage

Postby jdege on Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:00 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:I haven't driven through IL in about 20 years. If I'm headed east I detour through the UP, much more scenic.

I've done the drive east a few times. My usual route by has been Waterloo-Davenport. But then, my destination has been Peoria, Atlanta, DC. I-80 was as close to Chicago as I wanted to get.

Last trip, though, was Vermont, and I decided on going through Canada. On the way out, I took 94 through Chicago, getting up early so I'd be in Indiana before rush hour, then crossed north of Detroit, going through Toronto and Montreal.

I'm never taking that route again. I've never seen that bad of traffic for that long a stretch.

On the way back I went through Mackinac. Longer trip, but much more pleasant, and would have been faster if I hadn't stopped to visit some tourist traps.
jdege

Postby Sorcerer on Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:05 pm

Last summer I was heading to home from Maggie Valley NC. My normal overnight stop would have been just west of Indianapolis. Was make good time and was too early to stop for the night. My next plan was a place just north of Bloomington Illinois. Before I cleared Indiana I decided to clear Illinois entirely and over night in Wisconsin. At a little after 9 pm I pulled off in the Dells for the night. 904 miles on my Honda motorcycle. I was home in Brooklyn Center before noon the next day. If I have to travel through Illinois the Ruger LCR9 may become my travel buddy.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:42 pm

So it is really nice to see all the gang bangers in Chicago turning in their guns.
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News