Mayor Carter wants more 'Gun Free' zones

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Mayor Carter wants more 'Gun Free' zones

Postby daleamn on Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:12 pm

Yeah, I know, "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!"

This comes after Exavir Dwayne Binford Jr, an employee of the Jimmy Lee Recreation Center in St. Paul, shot a teen after they had 'an altercation' (read 'fight') outside the Oxford Community Center in St. Paul. Note: Binford has a concealed carry permit. As a result, Mayor Carter wants libraries and rec centers to become 'Gun Free' zones, or as some like to call them 'target rich environments'.

You can read about it here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/breac ... cc9f0cd6e0
daleamn

Re: Mayor Carter wants more 'Gun Free' zones

Postby xd ED on Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:35 pm

daleamn wrote:Yeah, I know, "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!"

This comes after Exavir Dwayne Binford Jr, an employee of the Jimmy Lee Recreation Center in St. Paul, shot a teen after they had 'an altercation' (read 'fight') outside the Oxford Community Center in St. Paul. Note: Binford has a concealed carry permit. As a result, Mayor Carter wants libraries and rec centers to become 'Gun Free' zones, or as some like to call them 'target rich environments'.

l'il melvin completely side-steps his administration dropping the ball by having his employee carrying on the job; which city employees are forbidden to do; regardless of having a PTC.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:03 pm

xd ED wrote:
daleamn wrote:Yeah, I know, "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!"

l'il melvin completely side-steps his administration dropping the ball by having his employee carrying on the job; which city employees are forbidden to do; regardless of having a PTC.

1) I think we all know this is just an excuse as melvin wants everywhere to be gun free zones for you and me just not his security and enforment.

2) I feel the bigger issue is that employees are not allowed to carry. Did this one make a bad decision, yes but why should every other employee be working at risk for their lives?
Holland&Holland

Postby rtk on Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:11 pm

Don’t hire an employee that has 2 drug convictions and a conviction for theft to start with.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby bstrawse on Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:35 am

We expected someone to push for a preemption repeal, but I don't see that gaining traction. We'll oppose it strongly.

In any event, Bruen defines a "sensitive place" where carry could be prohibited - what the Mayor is stating doesn't fit those criteria.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby daleamn on Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:44 am

Thank you bstrawse. I sincerely appreciate your efforts (and have backed this up with a check to your organization in the past).

But it seems like the anti-gun folk don't CARE about what's legal and what is not. They just want what they want. New York is a prime example. Their anti-gun law was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court so they just doubled down passing laws that were even MORE egregious. Again, they don't seem to CARE that their new laws fly in the face of the previous decisions!

It's just that I don't see any accountability for the 'law makers' that are doing this.

The previous state adm won handily across the board and the Dems control all three branches of MN government...please tell me there are some Dems that might not vote in lock step with the party.

Once again though, thank you for your actions on these issues.
daleamn

Postby Lumpy on Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:59 pm

The antis have gone berserk since Bruen.
Lumpy

Postby bstrawse on Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:21 pm

daleamn wrote:Thank you bstrawse. I sincerely appreciate your efforts (and have backed this up with a check to your organization in the past).

But it seems like the anti-gun folk don't CARE about what's legal and what is not. They just want what they want. New York is a prime example. Their anti-gun law was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court so they just doubled down passing laws that were even MORE egregious. Again, they don't seem to CARE that their new laws fly in the face of the previous decisions!

It's just that I don't see any accountability for the 'law makers' that are doing this.

The previous state adm won handily across the board and the Dems control all three branches of MN government...please tell me there are some Dems that might not vote in lock step with the party.

Once again though, thank you for your actions on these issues.

Correct, they do not care. We've expected for some time that either Minneapolis or Saint Paul will try an end run around preemption by just passing and enforcing something. If they do, we have a plan from a legal standpoint ready to go.

That said, we have minimal faith in the MN Judiciary - 12 (soon to be 16) years of DFL judicial appointments have definitely tilted the playing field there - even as clear as MN's preemption law is.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Return to In The News