Gun safety bills gain in Minnesota amid Democratic control

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:05 am

https://www.austindailyherald.com/2023/02/gun-safety-bills-gain-in-minnesota-amid-democratic-control/
ST. PAUL — Gun safety bills are advancing at the Minnesota Legislature, backed by Democrats who are hoping their new control of both chambers will help them pass proposals that Republicans were able to block in recent years. The two main bills would expand background check requirements for firearm sales and other transfers, and allow authorities to temporarily confiscate guns from people in crisis under what are commonly known as red flag laws or extreme risk protection orders. They’re moving ahead as the national debate over preventing gun violence becomes increasingly polarized. The former Minnesota Senate GOP majority prevented much discussion of the proposals in their body over the last several years. But Democrats gained a one-seat Senate majority in the November elections to win the trifecta — control of both chambers and the governor’s office — for the first time in eight years. That’s given gun safety advocates hope while putting Second Amendment activists on the defensive.
jdege

Re: Gun safety bills gain in Minnesota amid Democratic control

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:33 am

Time to move to SD?
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:12 pm

Is it time to go the scofflaw/ civil disobedience route and say "bugger your g-d law", and face the consequences?
Lumpy

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:07 pm

They keep doing this stupid crap and pushing that fine line before folks start taking measures in there own hands. Just a matter of time.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:33 pm

Lumpy wrote:Is it time to go the scofflaw/ civil disobedience route and say "bugger your g-d law", and face the consequences?

How do you do that? If a red flag call comes in and the show up and you disobey I am guessing it ends in a bit more than civil disobedience…
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:36 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Lumpy wrote:Is it time to go the scofflaw/ civil disobedience route and say "bugger your g-d law", and face the consequences?

How do you do that? If a red flag call comes in and the show up and you disobey I am guessing it ends in a bit more than civil disobedience…

If you're ordered to turn in your guns and you reply "What guns? I don't have any guns; I recently sold them all in a private sale", and a warranted search of your property doesn't find where you hid them any guns, what then? Can the court insist that you must turn in the guns they can prove you owned at one time and hold you in contempt if you don't? IOW legally speaking, is it up to the court to confiscate them or up to you to turn them in?
Lumpy

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:43 pm

Lumpy wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

If you're ordered to turn in your guns and you reply "What guns? I don't have any guns; I recently sold them all in a private sale", and a warranted search of your property doesn't find where you hid them any guns, what then? Can the court insist that you must turn in the guns they can prove you owned at one time and hold you in contempt if you don't? IOW legally speaking, is it up to the court to confiscate them or up to you to turn them in?

If HF 14 & HF 601 also become law, you'd better have your sales receipts, FFL receipts and/or police reports on hand or you'll be in legal jeopardy.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:32 pm

If I sell my guns before the law goes into effect, I won't need any receipts! They can't back date the law.
Bearcatrp

Postby westhope on Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:19 pm

How does the court prove that a transfer occurred if neither the transferor nor the transferee will testify the transfer occurred after the date the law becomes effective. Neither can be forced to testify if they plea the fifth amendment. So one would get a plea deal of immunity to testify against the other?
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby rtk on Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:58 pm

westhope wrote:How does the court prove that a transfer occurred if neither the transferor nor the transferee will testify the transfer occurred after the date the law becomes effective. Neither can be forced to testify if they plea the fifth amendment. So one would get a plea deal of immunity to testify against the other?

:iagree:
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:41 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:If I sell my guns before the law goes into effect, I won't need any receipts! They can't back date the law.

Sure they can.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:45 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:If I sell my guns before the law goes into effect, I won't need any receipts! They can't back date the law.

Sure they can.

:exactly:
I's the gov't prerogative to change its mind.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:52 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:

Sure they can.

Show me a law that was back dated. Not going to happen. The date the law is passed is the day the law takes effect. PERIOD!
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:06 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Sure they can.

Show me a law that was back dated. Not going to happen. The date the law is passed is the day the law takes effect. PERIOD!

Sure, that is current precedent, you trust that they won’t? You trust the liberals much more than I do I guess.
Holland&Holland

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:31 am

Bearcatrp wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Sure they can.

Lautenberg Amendment
Jackpine Savage

Return to In The News