MRI dangers

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

MRI dangers

Postby Chunkychuck on Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:35 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... n-off.html

Leandro Mathias died Monday at a hospital in São Paulo, Brazil, three weeks after he was accidentally shot when his concealed gun was pulled out from his waistband by an MRI machine's magnetic field. The gun hit the machine and the impact caused it to discharged one bullet that struck him in the abdomen
Chunkychuck

Re: MRI dangers

Postby crbutler on Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:02 pm

Sounds like a Darwin nominee to me.

Just because you are pro gun doesn’t automatically make you intelligent.

Sounds like an entitled lawyer… rules didn’t apply to him.

Too bad magnetism didn’t respect his authority.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:58 pm

crbutler wrote:Sounds like a Darwin nominee to me.

Just because you are pro gun doesn’t automatically make you intelligent.

Sounds like an entitled lawyer… rules didn’t apply to him.

Too bad magnetism didn’t respect his authority.

Magnets, one of natures original tyrants. Along with gravity.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:54 pm

No MRI center I have been to would allow anyone but the patient and staff past a safety zone, and as a patient I can tell you that they check and double-check ANY possible metal you might have on or in you.
Lumpy

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:50 pm

You can't fix STUPID. He deserved to die!
Bearcatrp

Postby Chunkychuck on Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:00 pm

Lumpy wrote:No MRI center I have been to would allow anyone but the patient and staff past a safety zone, and as a patient I can tell you that they check and double-check ANY possible metal you might have on or in you.

This occurred in San Palo Brazil. Maybe not as strict. Article stated he walked past many warning signs.
Chunkychuck

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 pm

Chunkychuck wrote:
Lumpy wrote:No MRI center I have been to would allow anyone but the patient and staff past a safety zone, and as a patient I can tell you that they check and double-check ANY possible metal you might have on or in you.

This occurred in San Palo Brazil. Maybe not as strict. Article stated he walked past many warning signs.

Maybe he didn’t speak Portuguese?
Holland&Holland

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:13 am

Probably had to shoot his way into the hospital.
Jackpine Savage

Postby daleamn on Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:56 pm

It's rare but we've had some MRI incidents in the U.S. too.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/201 ... /78136982/

In the other case, according to a 2002 report in the American Journal of Roentgenology, a gun discharged in an MRI after it was pulled from the hand of an off-duty police officer as he attempted to place the weapon on a cabinet about 3 feet away from the MRI's magnet bore. No one was injured in that case.
daleamn

Postby GoodDoctor on Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:23 am

I have seen some of those crazy incidents over my years of practice. IV poles getting "sucked" into the MRI room when the door was opened, a bunch of other debris type incidents. I came damned close to one mistake myself. I had a head trauma patient come in and I needed to monitor intracranial pressure but his ventricles in the brain were collapsed so I couldn't pass a silicone tube to measure the pressure. The alternative is to screw an external metal housing to the skull and pass a strain pressure sensor. We needed to get an MRI of the brain, and I had looked up the manufacturer"s data sheet concerning the metal housing and the data sheet stated the housing was MRI compatible. The radiologist was skeptical, so I called the manufacturer and talked to the MD who had "certified" this housing as safe and asked him what temperature did the housing get to while in the MRI (1.5 Tesla units) and he stated it was 57 degrees Celsius. OOPS. That's about 135 degrees Fahrenheit (think medium rare). Needless to say, there are a lot of things that can go wrong, not just the obvious large metal objects flying into these units.
GoodDoctor

Postby Chunkychuck on Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:56 am

GoodDoctor wrote:I have seen some of those crazy incidents over my years of practice. IV poles getting "sucked" into the MRI room when the door was opened, a bunch of other debris type incidents. I came damned close to one mistake myself. I had a head trauma patient come in and I needed to monitor intracranial pressure but his ventricles in the brain were collapsed so I couldn't pass a silicone tube to measure the pressure. The alternative is to screw an external metal housing to the skull and pass a strain pressure sensor. We needed to get an MRI of the brain, and I had looked up the manufacturer"s data sheet concerning the metal housing and the data sheet stated the housing was MRI compatible. The radiologist was skeptical, so I called the manufacturer and talked to the MD who had "certified" this housing as safe and asked him what temperature did the housing get to while in the MRI (1.5 Tesla units) and he stated it was 57 degrees Celsius. OOPS. That's about 135 degrees Fahrenheit (think medium rare). Needless to say, there are a lot of things that can go wrong, not just the obvious large metal objects flying into these units.

Right after I graduated college (1974) I had a stapendectomy, which is the replacing the stapes bone in the ear with a piece of wire. When I needed to have a MRI in 2008 to evaluate my rotator cup, I called the doctor who had done the surgery, fortunately the son had taken on the practice and my records were still available, to get the composition of the wire and would they send me a letter stating such. The wire was safe, but it was still a little nerve wracking when the machine started.
Chunkychuck

Postby TSKNIGHT on Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:11 pm

My Daughter was at U of M Children's for an MRI when they had to shut the machine down because a mother brought something in that trapped her to the side of the tube.
We had to reschedule her appointment. Was not my idea of a good day considering its a three hour drive for us.

The anchors in my shoulder are MRI safe, but I can feel them get warm when I'm in the tube.
TSKNIGHT

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:36 pm

I had multiple CT and MRI scans done recently - during the MRI scan they stopped the machine to cut off my "required face mask" because it had a metal wire in the nose piece. After removal all proceeded normally.
OldmanFCSA

Return to In The News