How one city cut gun violence in half and may become a model

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

How one city cut gun violence in half and may become a model

Postby jdege on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:17 am

https://abcnews.go.com/US/omaha-nebraska-cut-gun-violence-half-become-model/story?id=96799185
How one city cut gun violence in half and may become a model around the country
Omaha, Nebraska, has seen a marked decrease in shootings.
More than 6,000 people have been fatally shot in the U.S. so far this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive.

While many lawmakers debate various solutions -- restrictions on firearms, increased mental health funding, investment for youth -- ABC News recently talked to community leaders in Omaha, Nebraska, where officials have seen a steady drop in reported gun violence over the past 15 years.

[...]

Citywide shooting incidents involving an individual or group in that same time dropped from 191 to 90, with the lowest at 77 incidents in 2018. (One incident can include multiple victims.) And homicide clearance rates were at 87% in 2022. The Omaha Police Department follows the FBI's definition of a cleared case, which is by arrest or by exceptional means, like the death of a known suspect.

Overall homicides in Omaha have also gone down over the last 15 years, according to police department data. Those statistics, which do not delineate different types of homicides, show that average annual homicides fell from about 38 from 2007-2012 to about 28 from 2017-2022.

[...]

jdege

Re: How one city cut gun violence in half and may become a model

Postby xd ED on Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:23 am

I sorta skimmed through the linked article, so I guess I missed the part about draconian gun confiscation playing a role in their progress.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby westhope on Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:48 am

No PTC for open carry. PTC required for concealed carry and open carry in Omaha. Honors MN PTC.
Last edited by westhope on Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Lumpy on Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:51 pm

So to summarize, how did they do it?
Lumpy

Postby westhope on Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:34 pm

xd ED wrote:I sorta skimmed through the linked article, so I guess I missed the part about draconian gun confiscation playing a role in their progress.

Below is the ONLY statement in the whole article about gun control.

Gun licensing and permit-to-purchase legislation, even just for handguns, have been effective, too, Abt said.

There is current legislation in Nebraska for No Permit to Carry (concealed or open, everywhere). Last year it failed to pass by 2 votes.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Return to In The News