Family of 12-year-old shot, killed in stolen vehicle speaks

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Family of 12-year-old shot, killed in stolen vehicle speaks

Postby jdege on Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:23 pm

https://kdvr.com/news/problem-solvers/family-of-12-year-old-shot-to-death-in-stolen-car-speaks-out-against-car-owner/
Family of 12-year-old shot, killed in stolen vehicle speaks out against vehicle owner
The boy was found shot to death in a stolen vehicle in the 2900 block of West 10th Avenue on the night of Sunday, Feb. 5.

The vehicle owner, using a phone app, had tracked his stolen vehicle from the 8300 block of East Northfield Boulevard to the area of West 12th Avenue and Decatur Street, where he shot Elias Armstrong.

The 12-year-old then drove the vehicle a few blocks away, where he died from at least two gunshots.

[...]

The Armstrong family told the Problem Solvers that prosecutors obtained surveillance video and shared it with them to explain the decision not to charge the vehicle owner.

Thomas Armstrong said the footage shows a single bullet was fired from the back of the stolen vehicle first, before the vehicle owner allegedly unloaded 15 shots and one of the three boys inside the vehicle fired back twice.

[...]

Armstrong insisted his son was unarmed and that it was one of the two 16-year-olds who must have fired a gun toward the driver, because he said his son was in the front driver seat with his hands on the steering wheel. The shot, Armstrong said, came from the back seat, where the two 16-year-olds were sitting.
jdege

Re: Family of 12-year-old shot, killed in stolen vehicle speaks

Postby Lumpy on Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:33 pm

I believe MN law basically says the person behind the wheel is in control of the vehicle and its occupants, and responsible for what they do. So no, you can't play "I wasn't the one holding a gun".

609.672 PERMISSIVE INFERENCE; FIREARMS IN AUTOMOBILES.
Lumpy

Postby jdege on Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:48 pm

Lumpy wrote:I believe MN law basically says the person behind the wheel is in control of the vehicle and its occupants, and responsible for what they do. So no, you can't play "I wasn't the one holding a gun".

609.672 PERMISSIVE INFERENCE; FIREARMS IN AUTOMOBILES.

Suppose that the victim had waited for the police. Would the idiot 16-year-old not have shot at the police? Would the police officer have not returned fire?

The only relevant what-ifs here are what if the kid not stolen the car, and what if his accomplice not started shooting.
jdege

Postby crbutler on Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:51 pm

Sounds to me like the people who should be sued are the parents of the 12 year old, who didn't teach him not to steal cars.

The family is mad because they can't figure out who to sue?

GMAFB.
crbutler

Postby Lumpy on Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:11 pm

"He was just a child!"

Yes, which is why gangsta's who would be tried as adults recruit young kids as their catspaws.
Lumpy

Postby TSKNIGHT on Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:33 pm

I have become numb to most of these kids that get shot doing crimes.
Maybe if the parents actually raised them rather than let them run the streets raising themselves there would be fewer ending up dead at an early age?

I'm sorry, that might be too much common sense to expect.
TSKNIGHT

Postby armedwalleye on Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:23 pm

Parents trying to win the ghetto lottery
The weaponized fish.....
armedwalleye

Return to In The News