Red State support for "Assault Weapons" bans?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Red State support for "Assault Weapons" bans?

Postby xd ED on Thu May 11, 2023 9:12 pm

Markemp wrote:
xd ED wrote:We could start by actually enforcing the current laws, and yes, punishing those who violate them.
If we aren't doing that, what is served with more legislation?
Or would you elect to also not enforce the laws you advocate? To what purpose?

You seem to view the problem as a fault of society for punishing criminals.
I see the problem of individuals performing criminal acts against society.

I'm all for punishing criminals for the crimes they commit. I think you're assigning some beliefs to me that I just don't hold.

My question is how do you keep people from going back to jail after they've served their sentence. You went off on a tangent there.

Why do people go back to jail after they've served their sentence?

You need to better think through your position(s); they seem more than a little incongruous;

You want more laws
You (now say you) want to punish criminals for the crimes they commit.
And yet you believe society is already too severely punishing too many people.
Get back to me once you squared away all that.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Markemp on Thu May 11, 2023 9:34 pm

xd ED wrote:And yet you believe society is already too severely punishing too many people.

I think you're confused, or you're having a conversation with someone other than me. Can you please quote what I said that made you think that?
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 12, 2023 5:47 am

Markemp wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
Markemp wrote:Things change. If you can't sell your position better than those who think differently, you're going to have a bad time. There are limits to how far name calling can get you.

I think gun enthusiasts have a messaging problem.

Yes, we do, though it is not name calling that is the issue as your side is just as good at that. If you can’t agree with that then you are just not being intellectually honest.

What we have a problem with is a segment of our society that is willing to trade freedom for a false sense of safety.

If you want to cut down gun injuries and deaths in half, how do you propose we do it? Or is the current situation acceptable to you?

When did I state that?

No the current situation is not acceptable, you have already trampled my rights and freedoms I don’t find that acceptable at all. Here is a novel idea, I have never committed a crime, why don’t you leave me alone to live my life and I will do the same for you?
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri May 12, 2023 6:15 am

To address the OP's question. If there were truly 80% support for new gun control laws, of any kind, we would have them.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Fri May 12, 2023 7:45 am

Markemp wrote:
xd ED wrote:And yet you believe society is already too severely punishing too many people.

I think you're confused, or you're having a conversation with someone other than me. Can you please quote what I said that made you think that?

Well, here is what will likely be case of recidivism, the cause of which, you can pretend to be confused, and concerned.

Good thing this youngster wasn't effectively punished early on in his criminal career, so it could flourish, and not only ruin his own life, but the lives of many others, as well.

11 May 2023: Teen arrested for Michael Brasel murder was involved in violent Harding HS robbery

"...ST. PAUL, Minn. (FOX 9) - FOX 9 has confirmed through multiple sources that the 17-year-old suspect in custody on suspicion of Michael Brasel’s murder is the same young man captured on a video that went viral last year inside a Saint Paul Harding High School bathroom.

In that video, you can see the armed assailant attempting to gain access to and rob a fellow student of his cell phone. There’s a pretty intense scuffle as a witness videotapes the encounter on Snapchat....
...the teen, who we are not naming at this point, was charged and eventually pled guilty to aggravated robbery in that case. He was discharged from probation and supervision four months ago, in January....

"Time and time again, the young people continue to re-offend," said (former SPPD Chief of Police Todd) Axtell. "They are getting caught with a gun in the commission of a crime. Stolen guns, young people who shouldn't have their hands on guns. Again, using these guns to solve their disputes and commit crimes in our city. That should not have to happen more than once or twice before the criminal justice system says enough is enough."

Clearly more unenforced gun laws would have prevented this tragedy.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Fri May 12, 2023 8:46 am

Markemp wrote:

For better or worse, this criminal's recidivism has ended...

Suspect accused of shooting, killing St. Croix Deputy had lengthy criminal history - KSTP News

The man accused of shooting and killing a St. Croix County Deputy had a lengthy criminal history, sources confirmed to 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS Tuesday....

Dep. Kaitie Leising, 29, was responding to a report of a possible drunk driver in Glenwood City, Wisconsin Saturday night when she encountered Jeremiah Johnson, 34, according to information released by the Wisconsin Department of Justice. Officials say, eight minutes later, Johnson shot Dep. Leising, and he was later found dead with a handgun nearby.

Johnson’s last known address was in Stillwater, Minnesota. Sources confirmed Tuesday he was on supervised release from the Minnesota Department of Corrections for a 2015 felony conviction when he allegedly shot Leising....

...Law enforcement declined to comment on the investigation Tuesday, but sources confirmed Johnson’s criminal record in Minnesota dates back to 2007. The list includes various petty misdemeanors and traffic violations, as well as prior convictions for aggravated assault and DWI. It culminated in 2015 when Johnson began serving a prison sentence for kidnapping and criminal sexual conduct.

Johnson had been on supervised release since 2019 when, on Saturday, authorities said he was “evasive” of Leising’s request for a field sobriety test, something Johnson’s criminal record shows he’s been accused of before.

Again, it's clear that more unconstitutional restrictions on the law abiding citizenry, and lenient treatment of criminals is needed to prevent such tragedies.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri May 12, 2023 9:15 am

I know a young guy that is a parole officer. He is about ready to quit. Even up here, the courts are so backlogged, that a court date for a reoffender is more than a year out. The parolees are just laughing.
Jackpine Savage

Postby crbutler on Fri May 12, 2023 11:28 am

As to the gun injury thing reducing the numbers… statistically, we are at a nadir of violent crime and accidental shootings are at all time lows… so why the push for more restrictions?
crbutler

Postby Markemp on Fri May 12, 2023 11:51 am

crbutler wrote:As to the gun injury thing reducing the numbers… statistically, we are at a nadir of violent crime and accidental shootings are at all time lows… so why the push for more restrictions?

We can do even better. Continuous improvement is a good thing.

Doesn't have to be more restrictions. Can be handled a lot of different ways. But additional restrictions would help as well.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby ex-LT on Fri May 12, 2023 3:04 pm

Markemp wrote:
crbutler wrote:As to the gun injury thing reducing the numbers… statistically, we are at a nadir of violent crime and accidental shootings are at all time lows… so why the push for more restrictions?

Doesn't have to be more restrictions. Can be handled a lot of different ways. But additional restrictions would help as well.

And when your prediction is proven wrong, will you be back here admitting your error, or will you and your fellow gun grabbers double-down on stupid and call for even more restrictions on law-abiding citizens?
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri May 12, 2023 6:20 pm

The total truth never comes out from these mass shootings. The government doesn’t want to admit the low life fell through the cracks in the system and was able to get a firearm when they shouldn’t have been able to purchase. Don’t hear the government talking about the number of guns on the black market and how they plan to tackle that. But yet our worthless government wants to take away guns from law abiding citizens to turn them into victims. That’s what they want.
Bearcatrp

Postby Lumpy on Fri May 12, 2023 7:57 pm

I know it's just a violent fantasy that for a hundred reasons couldn't work in real life, but I can't but think that if only we simply hanged all the people with gang tats, things would immediately improve substantially.
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 12, 2023 8:26 pm

Markemp wrote:

Um, wait, um, hold on, did you not just state you were not trying to infringe on my freedom? I think proof is in your statement, I mean this is a bit direct.
Holland&Holland

Postby Markemp on Sat May 13, 2023 7:02 am

Lumpy wrote:I know it's just a violent fantasy that for a hundred reasons couldn't work in real life, but I can't but think that if only we simply hanged all the people with gang tats, things would immediately improve substantially.

I would much rather convert a person with a gang tat than to punch them. That way the second person with a gang tat you meet, you have someone by your side instead of facing two angry guys with gang tats.

I know it takes a lot of work, time and effort to do that, and it won't always work. Sometimes it won't work the first 3 times you try it but it will the 4th. But I think the benefits to society are far greater than just lynching anyone who fits a particular category regardless of the reason. That historically has been a *very* problematic position.

If you don't think it's worth the effort, don't get in the way of those who do.
Markemp

Postby Markemp on Sat May 13, 2023 7:04 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Markemp wrote:

Um, wait, um, hold on, did you not just state you were not trying to infringe on my freedom? I think proof is in your statement, I mean this is a bit direct.

A red flag law doesn't infringe on your freedoms. A licensing requirement for semi-auto weapons doesn't infringe on your freedom. Regulation is not the opposite of freedom. In fact they can help promote freedom, such as regulations that prevent companies from infringing on your actual freedoms.

You're using the word freedom like a platitude that has no actual meaning.
Markemp

PreviousNext

Return to In The News