Red State support for "Assault Weapons" bans?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Red State support for "Assault Weapons" bans?

Postby Markemp on Sun May 14, 2023 6:53 am

crbutler wrote:The point being made is that TX and OK are trying to infringe on the exercise of free speech between the doctor and the patient.

TX wants to have anyone who does an EAB on a woman, even if it is not in TX, as long as the woman is a TX resident, to be legally liable in TX. MN just passed a law saying our AG's office will defend them.

I have issues with abortion, but some places are going way too far. SCOTUS said that each state can do what they wish with regards to the ability to perform abortions. They did not say that you could prosecute folks for talking about them or referring them out of state.

I suppose a similar "blue state" exercise is the prosecution of antiabortion protesters who get "too close" to the abortion facility. They were exercising free speech and protest...

Thank you, THANK YOU. I figured constitutional rights would be really important on this forum, and was frankly a bit shocked that people think doctors should be jailed for discussing procedures with their patients. I owe you a beer. :)

Sadly, this is just the tip of the iceberg on what some of the more radical elements of the GOP are trying to do with regards to attacks on the first amendment. This is something we should be united against.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Markemp on Sun May 14, 2023 6:54 am

LarryFlew wrote:
Markemp wrote:Can a doctor in a number of red states right now tell their patients about abortion options, even those available in other states where it is legal?

Which constitutional amendment was that?? Not in the constitution and never was a right.

The first amendment? Free speech. It's the one right before the second amendment.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun May 14, 2023 8:34 am

Markemp wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:
Markemp wrote:Can a doctor in a number of red states right now tell their patients about abortion options, even those available in other states where it is legal?

Which constitutional amendment was that?? Not in the constitution and never was a right.

The first amendment? Free speech. It's the one right before the second amendment.

You seem to be doing just fine. Where exactly do you feel your 1st amendment rights are being infringed?
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun May 14, 2023 8:36 am

Markemp wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:

“ Let me put it this way: Regulations and laws aren't the loss of freedom. They are the balances between all people's freedoms.” - unknown author
Holland&Holland

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sun May 14, 2023 9:08 am

Holland&Holland wrote:“ Let me put it this way: Regulations and laws aren't the loss of freedom. They are the balances between all people's freedoms.” - unknown author

:lol: Well done!
Jackpine Savage

Postby Lumpy on Sun May 14, 2023 9:47 am

I keep thinking there must be few harder positions to be stuck in than being a woman who believes in the Second Amendment and also wants abortion to remain legal and available.
Lumpy

Postby xd ED on Sun May 14, 2023 10:08 am

Lumpy wrote:I keep thinking there must be few harder positions to be stuck in than being a woman who believes in the Second Amendment and also wants abortion to remain legal and available.

An abortion, when opted for to save the life of the mother, is in my mind, completely consistent with the principles of self defense/ protecting a life using deadly force.

When used as a social/ lifestyle convenience it is a murder/ unjustified homicide.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby ex-LT on Sun May 14, 2023 11:35 am

Markemp wrote:
ex-LT wrote:
Markemp wrote:We could talk about freedom in the vein of smoking bans in restaurants, or drunk driving, or speech. But most people don't seem to consider regulations on those to be infringing their freedoms.

As for you lumping speech into your strawman, other than the ultra-left (aka the SAME ONES who want to disarm law-abiding citizens), I don't hear anyone talking about putting regulations on what you can or cannot say.

You can't be serious. That is literally the platform of the GOP these days. They can't pass laws fast enough to limit speech of others based on their own personal beliefs. Removal of books from libraries about topics they disagree with and things like that, just to start!

Throughout history, the group that goes around banning books has never been considered the "good guys."

Maybe you should look a little deeper at your own party before you start casting accusations at the GOP, because the last time I checked it WASN'T the GOP that was trying to ban Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Farenheit 451, (and a host of others).
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Previous

Return to In The News