Walz signs ‘red flag’ orders, universal background checks

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Walz signs ‘red flag’ orders, universal background checks

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 26, 2023 9:11 am

Markemp wrote:
ex-LT wrote:
ttousi wrote:Short and sweet/simple regarding universal background checks

Criminals by definition do not follow/laws............so I don't expect they will transferring their firearms thru the neighborhood FFL.

So how does this do anything but place an undue burden on law abiding citizens..................inquiring minds want to know

I wish I could remember where I saw it (it may have been on the Gun Owners Caucus website?), but there was a video clip where a Democrat legislator was directly asked about that, and he actually stated something along the lines of "we don't expect the criminals to obey this law."

Of course, my first reaction when I heard that was "Then why, for F###'s sake, are you PROPOSING this law?"

Because not everyone who will be saved by this law is a criminal. It's going to help people who need a little extra help.

Gun violence is a multi-faceted problem, which requires multi-faceted solutions. This law is designed to deal with a part of the problem, so saying it won't do anything at all because of another part of the problem is a bit disingenuous. No kidding it won't. It's not designed to help with that part.

Um WHO is this going to save?
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Fri May 26, 2023 1:06 pm

You seem to be implying that this will help with suicide (whether or not that really is violence is an open question).

After working with mental health, you seem to think that it will make a difference there.

Maybe. But I doubt much of one. A suicide uses the means at hand. If they are determined enough that despite an intervention atrempt, (going to court isn’t step one, BTW) odds are they will attempt it anyhow. I don’t see why hanging is any worse than slitting your wrists than CO poisoning, than driving into a bridge abutment than shooting yourself.

The feel good “we did something” is not useful. Results are what matter. If the guy is dead, who cares that it moved from firearm to rope?

Just the folks who are scared of guns. And not over the life lost.
crbutler

Postby Tom S on Sat May 27, 2023 7:53 am

"Show me the man and I'll show you the crime" - Lavrentiy Beria
Tom S

Postby bstrawse on Sat May 27, 2023 8:21 am

ex-LT wrote:
ttousi wrote:Short and sweet/simple regarding universal background checks

Criminals by definition do not follow/laws............so I don't expect they will transferring their firearms thru the neighborhood FFL.

So how does this do anything but place an undue burden on law abiding citizens..................inquiring minds want to know

I wish I could remember where I saw it (it may have been on the Gun Owners Caucus website?), but there was a video clip where a Democrat legislator was directly asked about that, and he actually stated something along the lines of "we don't expect the criminals to obey this law."

Of course, my first reaction when I heard that was "Then why, for F###'s sake, are you PROPOSING this law?"

Here's the videoclip you're remembering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGu6Ps8Bunw

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Lumpy on Sat May 27, 2023 9:41 am

xd ED wrote: that could not be accomplished with preexisting ordinance

Not to be confused with "ordnance". :lol:
Lumpy

Previous

Return to In The News