Hunter Biden be the next poster child for Second Amendment?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Hunter Biden be the next poster child for Second Amendment?

Postby jdege on Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:30 pm

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/01/hunter-biden-supreme-court-second-amendment-00099544
Could Hunter Biden be the next poster child for Second Amendment rights?
The president’s son is under investigation for potentially breaking the law banning drug users from owning guns – but the law’s constitutionality faces growing challenges.
Hunter Biden could soon find himself in a surprising position: at the cutting edge of the fight to strengthen the Second Amendment.

The president’s son is the target of a Justice Department investigation scrutinizing his purchase of a gun in 2018 — a time when he has said he was regularly using crack cocaine. Federal law bans drug users from owning guns.

But the constitutionality of that law — like many other provisions restricting gun ownership — is newly in question after a precedent-rocking decision the Supreme Court handed down almost a year ago.

His lawyers have already told Justice Department officials that, if their client is charged with the gun crime, they will challenge the law under the Second Amendment, according to a person familiar with the private discussions granted anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly. That could turn a case that is already fraught with political consequences into a high-profile showdown over the right to bear arms.
jdege

Re: Hunter Biden be the next poster child for Second Amendment?

Postby bstrawse on Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:41 pm

There are already several cases litigating this particular issue in 18 USC 922 - at least one of which came down striking the law - and more are awaiting a decision. His case probably won't be the deciding case.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:34 pm

I could say the obligatory special rules for special people and normally for Hunter it would apply but I guess not in this case.
Holland&Holland

Postby daleamn on Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:18 pm

Looking into my out of focus, scratched up, blurry crystal ball I see the lefty type folk crowing, cheering and making a big deal out of Hunter Biden being able to use the 2nd amendment crowd's argument to get himself out of trouble.

Similar to them taking the phrase "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"---which is true! What DOES stop almost all of the shooters? Being shot or being confronted with folk that are going to shoot them is almost always the thing that gets them to surrender or to shoot themselves. The anti-gun crowd jumped on this phrase instantly mocking with such fervor and consistency that I almost think they're (the anti-gun crowd) are organized.
daleamn

Postby Lumpy on Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:25 pm

Update: Hunter pleads guilty to tax charges, will probably get probation. Gun charge dropped due to "pretrial diversion" i.e., he'll attend a twelve-week class or something.

Is there anything the Left is more hypocritical about than gun privileges for the rich and well connected?
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:00 pm

Lumpy wrote:Update: Hunter pleads guilty to tax charges, will probably get probation. Gun charge dropped due to "pretrial diversion" i.e., he'll attend a twelve-week class or something.

Is there anything the Left is more hypocritical about than gun privileges for the rich and well connected?

Oh I suspect there is much they are more hypocritical about.
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News