Minneapolis among the worst major cities for crime

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:49 pm

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2023/06/19/minneapolis-among-the-worst-major-cities-for-crime-n559014
I saw a local advocacy group tweet out a factoid that I just knew had to be wrong.

It was a right-leaning group called the Minnesota Action Network, and while I am very sympathetic to its causes I thought they had to be gaslighting us.

Yes, I do fact-check my allies when I can. Otherwise, I could wind up repeating things that are excessively “spun” or outright false, and I hate to look stupid by doing so. I make enough stupid mistakes on my own, thank you!

Nope. They weren’t. The comparisons are actually worse than they imply.

[...]

Minneapolis is off the charts, almost literally, in violent crime. About 30% higher than Chicago, the next most violent city. Portland comes in third, then New York and San Francisco come in last with much less than half the violent crime of Minneapolis.

Yikes! My city is twice as dangerous as New York City. How’s that for a slap in the face?

We have almost 4x times the murder rate of New York City and are worse than Chicago. Rape? Dramatically worse here than elsewhere. Robbery? Ditto. Assault–yep, we’re tops among these cities by a wide margin.
jdege

Re: Minneapolis among the worst major cities for crime

Postby Markemp on Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:42 am

Woah, this is cherry picked data at its worst.

I guess the correct takeaway is: New York, Chicago, Portland and Chicago have made great strides in reducing crime over the decades and are perfectly safe places to live in. And Minneapolis (and everywhere in America) is still near historic lows, although more can be done to improve things here.

https://www.southwestjournal.com/most-d ... -analysis/

Here's the top 10 overall.

St. Louis, Missouri
Detroit, Michigan
Baltimore, Maryland
Memphis, Tennessee
Little Rock, Arkansas
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Cleveland, Ohio
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Kansas City, Missouri
Stockton, California

The whole "failed cities" thing is so dumb. The vast majority of Americans live in cities, and when we look around all we see is a great place to live. And we can look at this from a different angle if you want:

https://thehill.com/changing-america/re ... ent-small/

The property and violent crime rates in these places are an order of magnitude higher than in cities. Check out the 2023 murder rate in Cyrus, Minnesota.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Grayskies on Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:59 am

So people like me fled and are fleeing Minneapolis because it's such a wonderful place to live?
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Sorcerer on Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:42 am

Creative book keeping.
Sorcerer

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:44 am

The decline is obvious if you're not a useful idiot.
Jackpine Savage

Postby jdege on Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:42 am

Markemp wrote:Woah, this is cherry picked data at its worst.

Is it?

https://www.minnesotamonthly.com/lifestyle/what-was-behind-the-twin-cities-metros-violent-crime-spike
What Was Behind the Twin Cities Metro’s Violent Crime Spike?
Violent crime has sharply risen since the pandemic started, leaving many to wonder when and how we can get back to the way things were
Nationwide, violent crime has increased since early 2020. But Minnesota has seen the steepest spike in gun violence of any state, according to a 2021 study published by Scientific Reports with data from the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive. Perhaps not surprisingly, the Minnesota city with the highest rate of violent crime is Minneapolis, the most populated city and a place of unrest and police depletion following George Floyd’s murder by Minneapolis police on May 25, 2020. The rise in murders and shootings citywide was especially unsettling. Minneapolis’ homicide increase was one of the highest in the country, more than doubling from 46 in 2019 to 93 in 2021, per Uniform Crime Reports. Through the first half of 2022, the number of murders in Minneapolis ranked in the top quarter percentile of cities per capita nationwide (19th of 70), according to the Major Cities Chiefs Association. Meanwhile, across the river in St. Paul, 2021’s homicide count of 38 pushed past the capital’s previous peak of 33, set in 1992, placing 2021’s homicide count slightly higher when figured per capita: 12.4 versus 12.2 per 100,000 people.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:54 am

Markemp wrote:Woah, this is cherry picked data at its worst.

I guess the correct takeaway is: New York, Chicago, Portland and Chicago have made great strides in reducing crime over the decades and are perfectly safe places to live in. And Minneapolis (and everywhere in America) is still near historic lows, although more can be done to improve things here.

https://www.southwestjournal.com/most-d ... -analysis/

Here's the top 10 overall.

St. Louis, Missouri
Detroit, Michigan
Baltimore, Maryland
Memphis, Tennessee
Little Rock, Arkansas
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Cleveland, Ohio
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Kansas City, Missouri
Stockton, California

The whole "failed cities" thing is so dumb. The vast majority of Americans live in cities, and when we look around all we see is a great place to live. And we can look at this from a different angle if you want:

https://thehill.com/changing-america/re ... ent-small/

The property and violent crime rates in these places are an order of magnitude higher than in cities. Check out the 2023 murder rate in Cyrus, Minnesota.

Pot meet kettle.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:33 am

Markemp wrote:I guess the correct takeaway is: New York, Chicago, Portland and Chicago have made great strides in reducing crime over the decades and are perfectly safe places to live in. And Minneapolis (and everywhere in America) is still near historic lows, although more can be done to improve things here.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

That's rich!

Markup, please keep up the good work making us all laugh.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:18 am

Baghdad Mark.

Jackpine Savage

Postby Grayskies on Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:43 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:Baghdad Mark.

I wonder why CNN or MSNBC didn't hire him as a news host?

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby daleamn on Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:21 am

I KNOW!!!
It's just silly old misinformed me reluctant to become an unwilling member of the 'Community Car Club' (you know...'Need a Car?---TAKE a Car!!! Got Glock? You're Good To Go!!!') that keeps me out of the down town areas. I'll work on getting over my phobia...(not).
daleamn

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:51 am

I thought Minneapolis wasn't going to have fireworks last night. This lady here on twitter seems to have filmed quite a bit. Must suck to live in those neighborhoods.

https://twitter.com/RebsBrannon
Jackpine Savage

Postby daleamn on Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:23 am

I'm pretty sure everybody knows all about twitter but me but since I don't could someone explain it to me in real simple terms what's going on with twitter of late?
daleamn

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:39 am

daleamn wrote:I'm pretty sure everybody knows all about twitter but me but since I don't could someone explain it to me in real simple terms what's going on with twitter of late?

Saw a headline few days ago that said Twitter will no longer allow anyone to see posts if they are not logged in.
gun_fan111v2

Postby Grayskies on Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:35 pm

I think Elon is trying to a) make money and b) limit companies or others from collecting data from all the tweets. It might also be an attempt to lower server usage from bots collecting data.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Next

Return to In The News