I thought gun control was the answer. Then my research told

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

I thought gun control was the answer. Then my research told

Postby jdege on Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:01 am

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/leah-libresco-i-thought-gun-control-was-the-answer-then-my-research-told-me-otherwise
I thought gun control was the answer. Then my research told me otherwise
I ceased to believe in many of the interventions I’d heard politicians tout, including ones I'd previously championed. They simply don't work
Before I started researching gun deaths, gun-control policy used to frustrate me. I wished the National Rifle Association would stop blocking common-sense gun-control reforms such as banning assault weapons, restricting silencers, shrinking magazine sizes and all the other measures that could make guns less deadly.

Then, my colleagues and I at FiveThirtyEight spent three months analyzing all 33,000 lives ended by guns each year in the United States, and I wound up frustrated in a whole new way. We looked at what interventions might have saved those people, and the case for the policies I’d lobbied for crumbled when I examined the evidence. The best ideas left standing were narrowly tailored interventions to protect subtypes of potential victims, not broad attempts to limit the lethality of guns.

[...]

By the time we published our project, I didn’t believe in many of the interventions I’d heard politicians tout. I was still anti-gun, at least from the point of view of most gun owners, and I don’t want a gun in my home, as I think the risk outweighs the benefits. But I can’t endorse policies whose only selling point is that gun owners hate them. Policies that often seem as if they were drafted by people who have encountered guns only as a figure in a briefing book or an image on the news.

Instead, I found the most hope in more narrowly tailored interventions. Potential suicide victims, women menaced by their abusive partners and kids swept up in street vendettas are all in danger from guns, but they each require different protections.
jdege

Re: I thought gun control was the answer. Then my research told

Postby Markemp on Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:12 am

Here's the article Leah wrote on FiveThirtyEight that she is talking about. Good stuff.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gu ... shootings/

Leah Libresco wrote:The best ideas left standing were narrowly tailored interventions to protect subtypes of potential victims, not broad attempts to limit the lethality of guns.

Instead, I found the most hope in more narrowly tailored interventions. Potential suicide victims, women menaced by their abusive partners and kids swept up in street vendettas are all in danger from guns, but they each require different protections.

Yes... that is exactly the whole idea. Reduce the number of gun deaths, because eliminating it entirely is impossible.

It's part of a whole series of articles on gun deaths that can be found here, if you want to deep dive on a bunch of these topics.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gun-deaths/
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Re: I thought gun control was the answer. Then my research told

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:12 am

Note these articles are from 2016 and 2017. They don't seem to have influenced leftist politicians.

Leah is a former writer at 538. She is also a former atheist.
Jackpine Savage

Return to In The News