Latest "evil gun" article at Star Tribune

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Latest "evil gun" article at Star Tribune

Postby Lumpy on Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:55 pm

I shouldn't be surprised but it's still disheartening to see the media refer to inanimate objects as if they're somehow responsible for assault and murder. The front page article of Sunday's StarTribune was "THE LIFE OF A GUN", subheading "This Mossberg MC2c pistol travelled from Texas before it hit the black market, ending up at a 2021 St. Paul mass shooting."

Gee, I wonder if the gun took a Greyhound bus or hitchhiked from Texas. And just somehow "ending up" at a shooting was a stroke of bad luck.
Lumpy

Re: Latest "evil gun" article at Star Tribune

Postby Sorcerer on Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:32 pm

That’s what happens when you hang with the wrong crowd.
Sorcerer

Postby jdege on Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:46 pm

Lumpy wrote:Gee, I wonder if the gun took a Greyhound bus or hitchhiked from Texas. And just somehow "ending up" at a shooting was a stroke of bad luck.

From Texas to Minnesota it would be Jefferson Lines, not Greyhound, wouldn't it?
jdege

Postby Grayskies on Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:32 pm

Maybe it hitch-hiked?
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby daleamn on Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:06 pm

Thanks for posting about this latest hit piece.

What's really disheartening for me is to read all the comments to the article.

When I saw the article there were over 700 comments and it seemed most were from the anti-gun crowd and most of those were filled with MISINFORMATION (quote from the movie 'Yellowbear'---'What we in the Royal Navy called LIES') about guns and laws.

Well, I guess if you don't see the absurdity of 'Gun Free Zones' you're just plain hopeless.
daleamn

Postby westhope on Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:39 pm

I’m sure they will also be running a corresponding article “LIFE OF A CRIMINAL” to follow the lives of all the criminals involved with any of the crimes the gun “caused” them to commit.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:12 am

westhope wrote:I’m sure they will also be running a corresponding article “LIFE OF A CRIMINAL” to follow the lives of all the criminals involved with any of the crimes the gun “caused” them to commit.

Do you mean the ones that were just about to turn their lives around?
Holland&Holland

Postby daleamn on Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:03 am

"Life of a Gun"
After reading the Star Tribune piece I have been thinking about doing an interview with my Ruger Mark II.

A fun-loving target .22 that started life in 1985 at the Ruger plant in xxx. The Mark II had a jolly early life at the factory surrounded by thousands of its siblings, many were the care-free, short-barreled guns with fixed sights and seemingly no ambitions, others, with target sights and bull barrels seemed more serious and dedicated. My Mark II had the long barrel with target sights and wanted nothing more than to accompany me on long walks in the woods or perhaps meet with other guns for some good-natured target practice or competitions. My Mark II seemed to enjoy that most of all---trash talking with Colt Woodsmen and High Standards and knowing that, win or lose, a good time would be had by all except, perhaps, for the Browning Buckmarks and Smith and Wesson Model 41's that almost always took themselves too seriously....

I'm CERTAIN after the initial story the Star Tribune did they would feel compelled to print mine after I get it finished.
daleamn

Return to In The News