California Father Who Opened Fire on Armed Attacker: ‘It Was

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

California Father Who Opened Fire on Armed Attacker: ‘It Was

Postby jdege on Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:30 pm

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2023/07/25/california-father-who-opened-fire-on-armed-attacker-it-was-good-thing-i-had-gun/
California Father Who Opened Fire on Armed Attacker: ‘It Was a Good Thing I Had a Gun’
Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office Sergeant Amar Gandhi says a California father who opened fire on an armed attacker Sunday to save his family is a “hero.”
The father and his wife were in bed in their Carmichael, California, apartment Sunday morning when 33-year-old Alonzo Brown came looking for his girlfriend around 1:00 a.m., CBS News reported.

Brown’s girlfriend was not in the apartment, but he believed she was, so he allegedly began trying to kick in the door.

He then allegedly looked into the bedroom window, where he and the wife “made eye contact,” after which Brown allegedly opened fire, shattering glass.

The wife said, “He saw me and we made eye contact and the next thing I know I am jumping out of bed because the glass is breaking,”

The husband retrieved his gun and returned fire, striking Brown with an unknown number of rounds.
jdege

Re: California Father Who Opened Fire on Armed Attacker: ‘It Was

Postby Markemp on Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:42 am

Great example on why people should be allowed to own guns for self defense. You never know when you will need one.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Erud on Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:20 am

Markemp wrote:Great example on why people should be allowed to own guns for self defense. You never know when you will need one.

This comment is a profound look into a leftist firearm owner's thought process on firearm ownership.
Erud

Postby TSKNIGHT on Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:45 pm

Markemp wrote:Great example on why people should be allowed to own guns for self defense. You never know when you will need one.

Allowed.
The last time I read the Constitution I don't remember anything about the government granting me rights. My understanding is the amendments commonly known as the Bill of Rights limits the government infringement of my God given rights.
TSKNIGHT

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:07 am

Yep. So thankful that I live in a Republic, and that the Bill of Rights was adopted. Though in the end, the commies seem to be succeeding in tearing it all down. We lived in the best of times.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Erud on Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:11 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:Yep. So thankful that I live in a Republic, and that the Bill of Rights was adopted. Though in the end, the commies seem to be succeeding in tearing it all down. We lived in the best of times.

Maybe it will be replaced with a Bill of Allowances? :cogitating:
Erud

Postby Markemp on Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:03 am

You do realize that the constitution can be amended, right? We are allowed to have guns as long as the second amendment isn’t overturned. We should work to prevent that from happening of course, but your “right” is given to you by the people not taking it away.

It’s literally called the second amendment.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:24 am

Where do you stand on the Left's call to expand the Supreme Court?
Jackpine Savage

Postby jdege on Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:38 am

Markemp wrote:You do realize that the constitution can be amended, right? We are allowed to have guns as long as the second amendment isn’t overturned. We should work to prevent that from happening of course, but your “right” is given to you by the people not taking it away.

The IRKBA existed prior to the ratification of the Second, and would continue to exist were it repealed.
jdege

Postby Markemp on Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:42 am

Ok. Cool. Good to know.
Markemp

Postby Markemp on Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:43 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:Where do you stand on the Left's call to expand the Supreme Court?

Super opposed to it.
Markemp

Postby crbutler on Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:37 pm

Kind of agree and disagree.

I assume the argument is that it’s a natural law that you have the right to defend yourself. I buy that.

But I also look around the world as see places like the UK, where if you defend yourself you end up in prison.

While I agree you have a moral right to defend yourself, and believe God won’t condemn you to hell for it, I also know that man will do what he wants and there are lots of folks worldwide in prison (or executed) who were defending themselves and the government decided “so what, you can’t do what you did.”

That said, in the US, it’s not supposed to be a matter of allowing, but rather you have a right to unless your behavior has taken your rights away.

jdege wrote:
Markemp wrote:You do realize that the constitution can be amended, right? We are allowed to have guns as long as the second amendment isn’t overturned. We should work to prevent that from happening of course, but your “right” is given to you by the people not taking it away.

The IRKBA existed prior to the ratification of the Second, and would continue to exist were it repealed.
crbutler

Postby jdege on Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:22 pm

crbutler wrote:Kind of agree and disagree.

I assume the argument is that it’s a natural law that you have the right to defend yourself. I buy that.

But I also look around the world as see places like the UK, where if you defend yourself you end up in prison.

My take on the use of deadly force is that if the situation is not such that my ending up in prison is not preferable to allowing what was about to happen to continue, it's not justified.
jdege

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:26 pm

jdege wrote:

It's actually a deep philosophical issue, even religious. Markemp has a point.
It's very hard to make an atheist to respect a God-given right.
“Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” (John Adams, 1798.)

In a world where there is no God, the government is a god; too important a role to be left vacant, and the government is usually the mightiest entity to claim it. Take it from someone born and raised in the USSR. And, being a god, it grants and takes rights privileges as it wills; mostly takes.
IvanTheTerribleShot

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:59 pm

IvanTheTerribleShot wrote:
jdege wrote:

It's actually a deep philosophical issue, even religious. Markemp has a point.
It's very hard to make an atheist to respect a God-given right.
“Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” (John Adams, 1798.)

In a world where there is no God, the government is a god; too important a role to be left vacant, and the government is usually the mightiest entity to claim it. Take it from someone born and raised in the USSR. And, being a god, it grants and takes rights privileges as it wills; mostly takes.

Not to disagree with the gov’t being the deity of the left,
The Constitution uses the word “Creator”. Whether one’s interpretation of the origins of human creation is one based in divinity, or pixie dust and a big flash, every human was created, and by virtue of their creation, they exist, and thus, are are endowed with certain inalienable rights, not the invokable, and revocable privileges administered by a gov’t agency.

Rights, as opposed to privileges, by the very definition of the word, are inalienable, and nothing is required of anyone else for a right to exist, or to be exercised.
A privilege, on the other hand, requires some manner of discriminatory action- favoring one party/ interest over another, by a controlling ‘authority’.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to In The News