Officers told to ‘put their guns in car’ in order to have lu

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Officers told to ‘put their guns in car’ in order to have lu

Postby jdege on Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:15 pm

https://alphanews.org/officers-told-to-put-their-guns-in-car-in-order-to-have-lunch-at-texas-roadhouse/
Officers told to ‘put their guns in car’ in order to have lunch at Texas Roadhouse
The officers said they would be eating lunch elsewhere and left.
Two on-duty Oakdale plainclothes police officers were told to “put their guns in the car” before they would be allowed to have lunch at Texas Roadhouse in Woodbury on Friday, according to an officer in the department who spoke to Alpha News about the incident involving his colleagues.

He said the officers were first told by the hostess they were “not allowed to have weapons in the restaurant.”

[...]

State law precludes private establishments from prohibiting “the lawful carry or possession of firearms by a peace officer.”

A spokesperson with Texas Roadhouse told Alpha News the 17-year-old hostess had just completed “active aggressor training” and that she “didn’t see a badge.”

“She was freaked out seeing a gun,” Travis Doster said.

I've thought about stopping by Texas Road House, after a trip to OGC, on occasion. My first response on reading this headline was that I wouldn't.

But having read the whole article, it seems to me that there's an opportunity for OGC to reach out and offer firearms safety and familiarization to the staff.

People who "freak out seeing a gun" need education, not ridicule or ostracism.
jdege

Re: Officers told to ‘put their guns in car’ in order to have lu

Postby warrlac on Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:19 pm

Anybody willing to reach out to Texas Roadhouse and make the offer that Jdege mentions above?

A certified firearms instructor stopping by and offering to provide firearms familiarization, training and safety might be just the cure for their employee's irrational fears...
warrlac

Postby xd ED on Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:22 pm

I’ve been at that exact restaurant twice, as part of a group.
I was armed, albeit covertly.
I don’t recall the establishment being posted.

It wasn’t the place of my choosing, and it wouldn’t be my personal first choice.
It is, for better or worse, part of a formulaic chain.

As to the company’s response, it sounds like corporate whitewash.
I read of no apology to the Police Officers.

The hostess’s reaction was that of a snowflake/ and or anti-cop.
‘Freaking out’ at the sight of an armed, plain clothes Police Officer could be dismissed as poor situational awareness.
I don’t believe this was that.
The response of both the hostess, and manager, having been made aware the men were Police was unwarranted, and inexcusable.
Call me a cynic, and skeptic, but I don’t see an attempt at education helpful.

Depending on one’s wishes, there are many excellent dining venues, within a similar distance of OGC where one could spend some time and money, while wearing an OCG hat or shirt...

Myself, I will take my dining dollars elsewhere
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jdege on Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:02 pm

xd ED wrote:The hostess’s reaction was that of a snowflake/ and or anti-cop.
‘Freaking out’ at the sight of an armed, plain clothes Police Officer could be dismissed as poor situational awareness.

You may well be right, but I'd wait until their response to an offer of training, before writing then off entirely.

xd ED wrote:Depending on one’s wishes, there are many excellent dining venues, within a similar distance of OGC where one could spend some time and money, while wearing an OCG hat or shirt...

I've always ended up at the Machine Shed. It's the food of my people...
jdege

Postby rtk on Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:31 pm

Maybe smarter if they are in plain clothes to conceal their weapon and identity. Just a suggestion and food for thought for comments.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby rtk on Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:39 pm

Double post…
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby xd ED on Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:58 pm

jdege wrote:
xd ED wrote:The hostess’s reaction was that of a snowflake/ and or anti-cop.

You may well be right, but I'd wait until their response to an offer of training, before writing then off entirely.

xd ED wrote:Depending on one’s wishes, there are many excellent dining venues, within a similar distance of OGC where one could spend some time and money, while wearing an OCG hat or shirt...

I've always ended up at the Machine Shed. It's the food of my people...

Thinking more about this-
The hostess just went through “active aggressor training”...and knowingly threw out 2 cops...
One wonders if she would have acted that way before being ‘trained’.

I’d be all for some firearms familiarization training- for her, the entire staff, as well as anyone else interested.
But I don’t think it’s a simple issue of gun paranoia; possibly some deep seated issues of pistol envy at work here.

The Machine Shed is a good place. Many years ago, my niece was a hostess there. She never mentioned ever throwing out any cops.

Lake Elmo Inn, dntn Lake Elmo is a bit more formal; been a while since I was there

Sgt Peppers, in Oakdale is a good beer, fries, & beer spot once frequented by some hungry and thirsty Thursday night match shooters.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:51 pm

Didn’t even know we had one in the state, now no reason to go there.
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:09 am

xd ED wrote:
Depending on one’s wishes, there are many excellent dining venues, within a similar distance of OGC where one could spend some time and money, while wearing an OCG hat or shirt...

Myself, I will take my dining dollars elsewhere

I have been meaning to try the Lakewood Tavern.
hard h2o

Return to In The News