Supreme Court Revives Biden's Regulation of Ghost Guns

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Supreme Court Revives Biden's Regulation of Ghost Guns

Postby Markemp on Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:33 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/08/us/s ... -guns.html

Nice work, SCOTUS. A welcome surprise.

In defending the rule, a key part of President Biden’s broader effort to address gun violence, administration officials said such weapons had soared in popularity in recent years, particularly among criminals barred from buying ordinary guns.

The court’s brief order gave no reasons, which is typical when the justices act on emergency applications. The order was provisional, leaving the regulation in place while a challenge moves forward in the courts.

The vote was 5 to 4, with Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Amy Coney Barrett joining the court’s three liberal members — Justices Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson — to form a majority.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Re: Supreme Court Revives Biden's Regulation of Ghost Guns

Postby Chunkychuck on Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:42 pm

Markemp wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/08/us/supreme-court-biden-ghost-guns.html

Nice work, SCOTUS. A welcome surprise.

The court’s brief order gave no reasons, which is typical when the justices act on emergency applications. The order was provisional, leaving the regulation in place while a challenge moves forward in the courts.

Appears to me to be a procedural move which SCOTUS does all the time to make sure cases move up the system correctly.
Chunkychuck

Postby Lumpy on Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:21 pm

Markemp wrote:Nice work, SCOTUS. A welcome surprise.

You do know this is a pro-gun message board, don't you? :x
Lumpy

Postby Markemp on Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:35 pm

Lumpy wrote:
Markemp wrote:Nice work, SCOTUS. A welcome surprise.

You do know this is a pro-gun message board, don't you? :x

Yes. And I am pro gun. I just believe in a little more regulations than some of the more dedicated posters here.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:40 pm

Markemp wrote:Yes. And I am pro gun. I just believe in a little more regulations than some of the more dedicated posters here.

In case you are not aware, that's the definition of a Fudd.

Also, in another place, you qualified yourself as a Snitch.

Nice combination.
IvanTheTerribleShot

Postby vingrjoe on Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:10 pm

I support the Second Amendment, but...

Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countryman.
vingrjoe

Postby Markemp on Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:14 pm

IvanTheTerribleShot wrote:
Markemp wrote:Yes. And I am pro gun. I just believe in a little more regulations than some of the more dedicated posters here.

In case you are not aware, that's the definition of a Fudd.

Also, in another place, you qualified yourself as a Snitch.

Nice combination.

Don't gatekeep. It's unbecoming, and overall damaging to our rights to bear arms.

I think you're technically using the No True Scotsman logical fallacy as well.
Markemp

Postby jdege on Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:31 pm

Longer quote:

Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, 'What should be the reward of such sacrifices?' Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship, and plough, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth? If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
- Samuel Adams
jdege

Postby Grayskies on Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:06 am

jdege wrote:Longer quote:

Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, 'What should be the reward of such sacrifices?' Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship, and plough, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth? If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
- Samuel Adams

I like this a lot.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:18 am

Markemp wrote:I think you're technically using the No True Scotsman logical fallacy as well.

You think wrong, not just on this occasion.

Actually, in some cases, it's not your thinking: someone is doing the thinking for you, you just consume the ready-to-eat mental product. You will notice yourself if you pay enough attention.

Also, I am now convinced you are a bit of a troll, the benefit of doubt was exhausted; and the only way to deal with one is stop feeding it. Sorry, I no longer have patience with you. The snitching episode was the last straw.
You may or may not be an actual snitch, but you were definitely trolling about it; and I was trained to believe people when they say things of such sort, and take necessary precautions.

All the best.
IvanTheTerribleShot

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:31 am

He is worst than a snitch. He’s a democrat pretending to be a republican and spying on this web site. Bet this lowlife makes reports to his democratic buddies on what’s being said on this forum. But is is funny reading his BS. He is so brainwashed by the democrats he doesn’t realize it.
Bearcatrp

Postby xd ED on Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:46 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:He is worst than a snitch. He’s a democrat pretending to be a republican and spying on this web site. Bet this lowlife makes reports to his democratic buddies on what’s being said on this forum. But is is funny reading his BS. He is so brainwashed by the democrats he doesn’t realize it.

You make some assumptions which I don’t....

...not that there is any thing wrong with that....
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Markemp on Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:02 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:He is worst than a snitch. He’s a democrat pretending to be a republican and spying on this web site. Bet this lowlife makes reports to his democratic buddies on what’s being said on this forum. But is is funny reading his BS. He is so brainwashed by the democrats he doesn’t realize it.

I never pretended to be a republican. My very first post here I mentioned I was a registered democrat, and posted specifically because someone wanted to know what democrats thought about a topic. I’m not spying. I’m a gun lover who loves reading about guns and related issues.

I used to be a republican if that helps. But ever since Newt, it’s been harder and harder to think that the GOP is really the best direction for the country. Don’t even get me started on the tea party, or the current insurrectiony tack that the GOP has taken. :roll:
Markemp

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:23 am

Markemp wrote:

I never pretended to be a republican. My very first post here I mentioned I was a registered democrat, and posted specifically because someone wanted to know what democrats thought about a topic. I’m not spying. I’m a gun lover who loves reading about guns and related issues.

I used to be a republican if that helps. But ever since Newt, it’s been harder and harder to think that the GOP is really the best direction for the country. Don’t even get me started on the tea party, or the current insurrectiony tack that the GOP has taken. :roll:

No you are not. Your posting history clearly shows otherwise. You ARE the divisiveness of our society. You just refuse to admit your part and blame all others for YOUR cancer.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:53 am

A difference being most of us like to actually shoot as opposed to just reading or watching someone on youtube shoot something unobtainable.
crbutler

Return to In The News