NY Times article on auto-seers/switches

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: NY Times article on auto-seers/switches

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:51 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:
atomic41 wrote:
He is right, this is exactly what they are doing. The left plays the long game and they have an army of loyal footsoldiers that are relentless, deceptive, and focused on pushing "whatever the latest narrative" is. The OP here is one of them, Markemp.

Yep, and the mainstream media, as in the OP, is part of the regime.

No, the OP is only trying to de-escalate the rhetoric and heal the divide as previously stated. I suspect if we all understood the error of our way of thinking and agreed to disarm, the mission would be accomplished.
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:57 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:No, the OP is only trying to de-escalate the rhetoric and heal the divide as previously stated. I suspect if we all understood the error of our way of thinking and agreed to disarm, the mission would be accomplished.

I know some of you guys are extremists, but I've always been clear that I'd be willing to disarm, if certain conditions were met.

Or one condition, really. That there be zero legal or social pressure for me to do so.

In a peaceful society, where no one had any need of guns, that anyone would still have guns would be of no concern to anyone.

But that there are people who don't want people to have guns is proof that we don't get live in such a society.

So, for me to give up my guns, all we'd need is for no one to want me to.
Last edited by jdege on Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdege

Postby Markemp on Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:20 am

jdege wrote:I know some of you guys are extremists, but I've always been clear that it's be willing to disarm, if certain conditions were met.

Or one condition, really. That there be zero legal or social pressure for me to do so.

In a peaceful society, where no one had any need of guns, that anyone would still have guns would be of no concern to anyone.

But that there are people who don't want people to have guns is proof that we don't get live in such a society.

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. :lol:
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Grayskies on Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:40 am

jdege wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:No, the OP is only trying to de-escalate the rhetoric and heal the divide as previously stated. I suspect if we all understood the error of our way of thinking and agreed to disarm, the mission would be accomplished.

I know some of you guys are extremists, but I've always been clear that I'd be willing to disarm, if certain conditions were met.

The society you want is a utopia. There is only one utopia that we can ever exist in, Heaven. When we try to create a utopian society we always create a Hell instead.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby daleamn on Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:28 pm

Reminds me of that old joke that anthropologists have discovered the link between primitive man and civilized man, it's us.

As for jdege's comment:

I like it.

Reminds me of the Catch 22 of the anti-gun movement where they think that anyone that wants a gun should be prohibited from having a gun.
daleamn

Postby jdege on Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:57 pm

Grayskies wrote:The society you want is a utopia. There is only one utopia that we can ever exist in, Heaven. When we try to create a utopian society we always create a Hell instead.

I don't believe we can create it, and I'm strongly opposed to the idea that we should try.

Don't Immanetize the Eschaton!

But I'll not give up my guns in anything less.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:58 pm

I can’t think of any scenario where I would willingly give up my guns.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:52 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I can’t think of any scenario where I would willingly give up my guns.

^^^This^^^^

In Utopia, there a lot of time and places for target shooting. After all: it’s utopia.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:00 am

I enjoy hanging out with the other cool kids too much to give up my guns.
Attachments
IMG_1298.jpeg
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:07 am

xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I can’t think of any scenario where I would willingly give up my guns.

^^^This^^^^

In Utopia, there a lot of time and places for target shooting. After all: it’s utopia.

Plus the laws of physics would no longer apply and you could achieve your dream velocities in your reloads with no pressure signs.
Holland&Holland

Postby Markemp on Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:03 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I enjoy hanging out with the other cool kids too much to give up my guns.

Oh man, are those a bunch of Garands? It's still a glaring hole in my collection. :(
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Erud on Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:17 am

Markemp wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:I enjoy hanging out with the other cool kids too much to give up my guns.

Oh man, are those a bunch of Garands? It's still a glaring hole in my collection. :(

You refer to your 3 firearms as a “collection”? :roll:
Erud

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:39 pm

Markemp wrote:

As a semi auto assault weapon that hold more than 7 rounds I am surprised you are allowed to own one.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:33 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Markemp wrote:

As a semi auto assault weapon that hold more than 7 rounds I am surprised you are allowed to own one.

As a "weapon of war" he should be forced to give them up.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Previous

Return to In The News