Gun ownership underreported

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby Lumpy on Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:56 am

Courtesy of the NRA's newsletter, one limited study estimates gun ownership may be up to double the widely reported figure of 30%

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/con ... ly-thought

the researchers determined reluctance to provide personal details to a stranger—particularly when asked about home- and personal-defense choices—minimized results of previous efforts at determining the figure.

Gee, ya THINK? :roll:
Lumpy

Re: Gun ownership underreported

Postby crbutler on Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:23 pm

Given how many firearms are known to be in the US, 30% is impossibly low.
crbutler

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:32 pm

You have to ask yourself, could 30% be correct? Think about that number, 30%, 1/3 of the US population. May very well be some what accurate. Open up your FIRST safe and do a barrel count. Number crunchers do the math especially if the original data was say a count at 1 or 2 barrels per head count. :didntdoit:
Sorcerer

Postby daleamn on Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:02 pm

I once had a very good teacher school us about statistics. It was very interesting/enlightening.
One cynical joke he told was '95% of the population admits to sometimes exceeding the speed limit. This tells us that 5% of the population lies when polled.'

Back in the 1960's I kind of remember folk felt a little honored to be included in a poll. Scam artists pretending to do polls put an end to that and my personal belief is there are a LOT of folk that flat out lie to pollsters just for sport.
daleamn

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:49 pm

30% is low, at least in Minnesota. I've heard numbers from 50%-70%.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby dismal on Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:58 pm

Illinois might be a good state to compare, since legal gun owners there need a FOID. Supposedly there are 2.1 million FOIDs, in a state with and adult population of 9.1 million, so a little over 24% of adults are legal gun owners. Seems likely to me that we at least double that.
dismal

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:11 am

I am surprised it is that high. All mine were lost in that boating accident. With all the lakes we have…
Holland&Holland

Postby Sorcerer on Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:57 pm

dismal wrote:Illinois might be a good state to compare, since legal gun owners there need a FOID. Supposedly there are 2.1 million FOIDs, in a state with and adult population of 9.1 million, so a little over 24% of adults are legal gun owners. Seems likely to me that we at least double that.

The problem with Illinois numbers is that you need “the card” to even handle any firearm or touch a box of ammunition. That doesn’t necessarily equate into ownership.
Sorcerer

Postby Lumpy on Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:56 pm

Sorcerer wrote:
dismal wrote:Illinois might be a good state to compare, since legal gun owners there need a FOID. Supposedly there are 2.1 million FOIDs, in a state with and adult population of 9.1 million, so a little over 24% of adults are legal gun owners. Seems likely to me that we at least double that.

The problem with Illinois numbers is that you need “the card” to even handle any firearm or touch a box of ammunition. That doesn’t necessarily equate into ownership.

Yeah, at a minimum you'd have to include statistics on how many arrests yield unlicensed firearms and extrapolate from that.
Lumpy

Return to In The News