Israel Eases Guns Restrictions Amidst Security Failures

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:46 pm

https://reason.com/2023/10/13/israel-eases-guns-restrictions-amidst-security-failures/
An emergency operation, in order to allow as many citizens as possible to arm themselves.
In the wake of the Hamas terrorist organization's murderous attacks on Israel, the country's government is admitting—not for the first time—that even Israel's extensive security apparatus can't be everywhere to protect everyone. Under the pressure of bloody events, officials are again making it easier for civilians to acquire and carry firearms for self-defense.

"Today I directed the Firearms Licensing Division to go on an emergency operation, in order to allow as many citizens as possible to arm themselves," announced National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir. "The plan will take effect within 24 hours."

By no means does the order eliminate the country's tight restrictions on guns. But it's an acknowledgment that too many Israelis were caught with limited access to the means of self-defense when Hamas terrorists crossed the border from Gaza and attacked civilians.
jdege

Re: Israel Eases Guns Restrictions Amidst Security Failures

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:37 pm

I’m really surprised Israel doesn’t have a Swiss like system regarding arms.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby jdege on Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:02 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I’m really surprised Israel doesn’t have a Swiss like system regarding arms.

Israel inherited their gun laws from the UK. Carry and possession both require a permit, and issuance is discretionary.

There have been times when permits were issued broadly. AIUI 40 years ago every military officer was issued a carry permit. But times change.
jdege

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:42 am

I understand all that. It's just with the history of Jewish persecution, regional instability and terrorism I'm surprised they don't want themselves and each other better armed.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:24 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I understand all that. It's just with the history of Jewish persecution, regional instability and terrorism I'm surprised they don't want themselves and each other better armed.

That is not unlike most American Jews, who tend to trust the gov’t, and subscribe to gun control, which I don’t get either.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:24 am

I think 20% of their citizens are Arabs, and a good percentage of those are Muslim. Could be why they are reluctant. There's never going to be peace in that neighborhood.
Jackpine Savage

Postby westhope on Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:22 am

There's never going to be peace in that neighborhood.

There hasn't been for 2,000 years. Why would today be any different?
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Uffdaphil on Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:31 pm

I want to hear the details of this change. The only fact I’ve seen reported is increasing the total amount of handgun ammo allowed to possess from 50 to 100 rounds.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Lumpy on Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:12 pm

I'm surprised that Israel doesn't have reservists keep their rifles like the Swiss do. I had heard that possession of handguns was sharply restricted after the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin in 1995.
Lumpy

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:24 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I’m really surprised Israel doesn’t have a Swiss like system regarding arms.

When I was in Switzerland for work, it was also the re-qualification period for many reservists with many dressed in their issued military gear carrying their government issued rifles, which they keep at home. I was able to attend a qualification one afternoon and while expressing interest, I was given the opportunity to shoot the qualification course of fire. I scored in the high 90's on open-sighted rifle shooting 300 meters. Range Master got pissed, took rifle away from me, got his rifle, shooting coat, eye lupes, and match ammo and beat me by 2 points - "Can't have any damn American out shoot us." Anyway, I was later offered a chance to shoot 2 kilometers with a select group of scary shooters. To get the actual distance, we were shooting over main highways, something not allowed here (Polk County Sheriff knows me and refused my request to do so to shoot my 50BMG and 338LM out to 1.5 miles.).

I hope they Israelli citizens are allowed to obtain firearms and are able to protect themselves moreso in the future. Time will tell. There hasn't been long-term peace there for years.
OldmanFCSA

Postby xd ED on Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:20 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:

When I was in Switzerland for work, it was also the re-qualification period for many reservists with many dressed in their issued military gear carrying their government issued rifles, which they keep at home. I was able to attend a qualification one afternoon and while expressing interest, I was given the opportunity to shoot the qualification course of fire. I scored in the high 90's on open-sighted rifle shooting 300 meters. Range Master got pissed, took rifle away from me, got his rifle, shooting coat, eye lupes, and match ammo and beat me by 2 points - "Can't have any damn American out shoot us." Anyway, I was later offered a chance to shoot 2 kilometers with a select group of scary shooters. To get the actual distance, we were shooting over main highways, something not allowed here (Polk County Sheriff knows me and refused my request to do so to shoot my 50BMG and 338LM out to 1.5 miles.).

I hope they Israelli citizens are allowed to obtain firearms and are able to protect themselves moreso in the future. Time will tell. There hasn't been long-term peace there for years.

If it still holds, the late Lance Peters - a former co-worker, and perhaps the top MN rifle shooter to date- has a record for the 300 m in Switzerland. Lance would likely have been on the Rifle Team that represented the USA at the 1980 Olympics in Moscow, had we not boycotted the event.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Return to In The News