NRA leaders face trial for corruption, mismanagement

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

NRA leaders face trial for corruption, mismanagement

Postby Markemp on Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:56 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/02/nyre ... trial.html

A parade of revelations from recent years will be front and center. Mr. LaPierre, for instance, was a regular for more than a decade at a Zegna boutique in Beverly Hills, where he spent nearly $40,000 of N.R.A. money in a single May 2004 outing. He also billed more than $250,000 for travel to, among other places, Palm Beach, Fla., Reno, Nev., the Bahamas and Italy’s Lake Como. He has argued that these were legitimate business expenses.

During his testimony in the 2021 bankruptcy case, Mr. LaPierre said he did not know Mr. Phillips had received a $360,000-a-year consulting contract after being pushed out of the N.R.A. He also said he was unaware that his personal travel agent, hired by the N.R.A., was charging a 10 percent booking fee for charter flights on top of a retainer of up to $26,000 a month. Mr. LaPierre’s close aide, Millie Hallow was even kept on after being caught diverting $40,000 in N.R.A. funds for her son’s wedding and other personal expenses.

With the trial approaching, tumult has continued within the organization’s leadership. Joe DeBergalis, Mr. LaPierre’s top deputy, left and was replaced by Mr. LaPierre’s longtime spokesman, Andrew Arulanandam. Phillip Journey, a former N.R.A. director turned critic who is also among the scheduled witnesses, was critical of the move.

“He’s putting malleables — what did Lenin call them, useful idiots? — in all the important spots,” he said in an interview.

I'd say the NRA is more corrupt than Trump, but I'm not really sure that's even possible. Let's call it a tie.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Re: NRA leaders face trial for corruption, mismanagement

Postby jdege on Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:22 am

That a person who is required, as a part of his job, to make regular media appearances spends money on custom-made business suits and writes it off as a business expense is hardly surprising.

I really don't like LaPierre, and routinely vote for board members I believe will work to oust him. But this isn't much of a charge.
jdege

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:47 am

I can assure you that no one at our organization is getting suits made on our donor's dime.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby crbutler on Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:16 am

jdege wrote:That a person who is required, as a part of his job, to make regular media appearances spends money on custom-made business suits and writes it off as a business expense is hardly surprising.

I really don't like LaPierre, and routinely vote for board members I believe will work to oust him. But this isn't much of a charge.

It’s one thing to write it off as a business expense, another to have your company pay for any unaudited expenses, and a third to do all of them.

While I buy that the various political types are after the NRA, in WLP’s case, he has a bit of difficulty explaining the facts.

That he admits he doesn’t know about these issues says it all.
crbutler

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:55 am

Markemp wrote:
I'd say the NRA is more corrupt than Trump, but I'm not really sure that's even possible. Let's call it a tie.

But both pikers compared to the Biden family shaking down foreign 'businesses'.

I'd like to see LaPierre go. I'd like to see Letitia James go too.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Lumpy on Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:14 pm

If we want to retain the moral high ground, corruption can't be tolerated. I'm sorry it came to this but LaPierre should have been ousted long ago.
Lumpy

Postby Vlad on Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:29 pm

Agreed....
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby 870TC on Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:49 am

Remember the old saying "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face". The damage this will do to our gun rights voice in Washington is catastrophic, what other group are you thinking will replace the NRA?.
This is a brilliant tactic by the left...get the gun people within the MOST influential gun rights organization to fight amongst themselves.
870TC

Postby jdege on Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:31 am

870TC wrote:Remember the old saying "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face". The damage this will do to our gun rights voice in Washington is catastrophic, what other group are you thinking will replace the NRA?.
This is a brilliant tactic by the left...get the gun people within the MOST influential gun rights organization to fight amongst themselves.

Why, then, has LaPierre not stepped down?
jdege

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:41 am

My thoughts regarding the NRA.

First, I wonder how much of this "corruption" is common practice with all large non-profit organizations. Let's open Planned Parenthood's books and see where their money is going.

My personal opinion is NRA lost their way decades ago, when they realized there was more money in lobbying government than their core mission. LaPierre and most of the BoD need to go, and NRA needs to return to it's roots of training and competitions.

Lastly, NRA's political power is not in it's organization, it's in it's ability to turn out gun owning voters that puts fear in politicians losing their power.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Markemp on Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:07 pm

870TC wrote:Remember the old saying "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face". The damage this will do to our gun rights voice in Washington is catastrophic, what other group are you thinking will replace the NRA?.

“The ends justify the means” isn’t a compelling argument.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby nhluke on Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:07 pm

Well LaPierre resigned today. I went from suprised he stayed so long to suprised he ever left. It will be interesting to see what the org does moving on
nhluke

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:16 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:First, I wonder how much of this "corruption" is common practice with all large non-profit organizations. Let's open Planned Parenthood's books and see where their money is going.

I would bet that it is common, and I can remember (barely) various scandal in the past from groups like the Red Cross, Wounded Warrior, etc. When the board approves it, I doubt that it equates to a crime, however disgusting it is.

Given that Latitia James is one of George Soros lackeys', there is no doubt this is just more lawfare rather than justice.

I haven't heard anyone shed a tear over LaPierre's resignation.
Jackpine Savage

Postby jdege on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:17 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I wonder how much of this "corruption" is common practice with all large non-profit organizations. Let's open Planned Parenthood's books and see where their money is going.

HSUSA is notorious for spending all of their money on fund raising and employee compensation. They don't send a dime to animal shelters.

SPLC is worse.
jdege

Postby jdege on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:19 pm

nhluke wrote:Well LaPierre resigned today. I went from suprised he stayed so long to suprised he ever left. It will be interesting to see what the org does moving on

Meaning it's time to bundle up the annual contributions I've not been making for the last few years, and send it in.
jdege

Next

Return to In The News