NRA leaders face trial for corruption, mismanagement

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: NRA leaders face trial for corruption, mismanagement

Postby daleamn on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:58 pm

Well, want to bankrupt a charity you don't agree with?
Donate about $20 to them.
Over the next year I'm sure they'll send you way more than that...address labels, drink coasters, calendars, bookmarks (socks for heaven sakes!) etc., etc. Heck, some even send you real currency---nickels, dimes, dollar bills and checks for $1.50. Figure in the office help, postage, paper, printing costs, envelopes etc. Well, I can't imagine what your $20 donation has cost the charity you donated to. Just a thought.
daleamn

Postby Lumpy on Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:20 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:My personal opinion is NRA lost their way decades ago, when they realized there was more money in lobbying government than their core mission. LaPierre and most of the BoD need to go, and NRA needs to return to it's roots of training and competitions.

If you're referring to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolt_at_Cincinnati, taking the NRA away from the Fudds is why the Second Amendment didn't "pass away in its sleep" the way the gun control advocates were hoping it would (although at that the NRA has been far less of a friend to the 2nd than other political activist groups).
Lumpy

Postby jdege on Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:50 pm

Lumpy wrote:If you're referring to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolt_at_Cincinnati, taking the NRA away from the Fudds is why the Second Amendment didn't "pass away in its sleep" the way the gun control advocates were hoping it would (although at that the NRA has been far less of a friend to the 2nd than other political activist groups).

Cincinnati wasn't a revolt to get the NRA involved in politics. The NRA had always been involved in politics. Read issues of American Rifleman from the 1930s.

What happened in Cincinnati is that a group of Fudds had gained control of the Board, and was determined to end the NRA's involvement in politics, to include moving the headquarters from DC to Colorado.

And the members said hell no. And doubled down on the NRA's political activity.

The idea that prior to 1977 the NRA was apolitical is simply false.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:59 am

It's hopefully a step in the right direction that wlp quit.
In some respects,it would have been a much more positive note had he been openly fired.

I don't know that I will be sending them money anytime soon.
There are other groups; locally - the caucus, and nationally several more, that will get more bang for your donated buck.

I might start wearing an NRA hat, again....
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Previous

Return to In The News