Wyoming attempts to deal with gun suicides

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Wyoming attempts to deal with gun suicides

Postby bstrawse on Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:31 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
bstrawse wrote:
No. You can either go through a FFL or you can create and retain the record (which does not require going through a FFL) - these are not the same thing.

Bryan

I am still confused. If you do a transfer though an FFL the FFL will run a background check correct? We now have 2 ways in MN to transfer handguns and Mil style guns. Through an FFL or use the record form and retain it for 10 years. If you lose the form you have committed a crime correct? If you have reason to believe the person lied on the forum and still transferred, you have committed a crime. Therefore, if said firearm were to be used nefariously it is completely reasonable in our legal climate to assume it is possible for a prosecutor to make the case that you as the transferer committed a crime because YOU were the point of purchase control and "should have known". I.E. you are taking on liability in transferring the gun. Similar liability as any gun store owner however without the benefit of a ATF back ground check to call into as your defense. I contend that to sell a firearm in this state of the above stated type, you are taking on risk. If you do not want that risk as part of this transaction you have only one option. The options the poster stated. I can only speak for me but if I am to take on that risk, my glocks cost $50,000 a piece.

In Minnesota, if you want to transfer a handgun or a "semi-automatic military style assault weapon" as defined in statute, you can:
1) Goto an FFL and transfer there - this will require a PTP/PTC and the usual background check process OR
2) Complete the state required paperwork, see an ID and PTP/PTC, and retain the paperwork for the statutorily required time period.

If you knowingly transfer a firearm to a prohibited person then that is indeed a crime.

If you do not produce the form upon a demand by a peace officer during a criminal investigation within the retention period, that is a crime.

We go into more detail on our website at: https://gunowners.mn/learn/minnesota-laws/ubcs/

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:14 pm

I think we are saying the same thing.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:41 pm

To be honest, I don’t see what high cap, semi automatic, or military style weapons have to do with suicide.

From what I have seen 1 shot from even poor defensive choice guns kills quite effectively.

Mr. “I don’t have a gun” Kurt Cobain killed himself with a M12 20 ga shotgun using skeet loads. That’s fairly typical. He violated god knows how many laws to get that in a gun control haven.

Finding a way for folks to get their guns stored safely if they want them out of the house doesn’t seem to be too difficult except maybe mandating that the storing party has no liability when they give them back at the owner’s request.
crbutler

Postby daleamn on Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:49 am

I think we [Holland&Holland and Bstrawse about transferring guns] are saying the same thing.

Seems to me like you really do both understand the new process the same way.

With the new law in place I don't think I will ever do an old time private sale ever again, it'll always be through an FFL, which I think is 'their' unspoken intent. And do you know what? I don't think crime and shootings will go down one whit because of this new law.
daleamn

Postby daleamn on Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:53 am

Suicide---and now the DFL is PUSHING for suicides which they might as well call late, late, late, late, late, late, late, late, late, late abortions.

Your future medical care in this state, if your of an age, might just be a pistol and a bullet.
daleamn

Postby Markemp on Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:55 am

daleamn wrote:Your future medical care in this state, if your of an age, might just be a pistol and a bullet.

Minnesota is forward thinking enough to actually invest in health services for their citizens, no matter how hard the republicans may try to take them away.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby crbutler on Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:09 pm

Try dealing with MN’s MA programs.

They do everything they can to push to certain treatment algorithms. Much of which has no real evidence basis to it.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:38 pm

daleamn wrote:
I think we [Holland&Holland and Bstrawse about transferring guns] are saying the same thing.

Seems to me like you really do both understand the new process the same way.

With the new law in place I don't think I will ever do an old time private sale ever again, it'll always be through an FFL, which I think is 'their' unspoken intent. And do you know what? I don't think crime and shootings will go down one whit because of this new law.

This
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:04 pm

daleamn wrote:With the new law in place I don't think I will ever do an old time private sale ever again, it'll always be through an FFL, which I think is 'their' unspoken intent. And do you know what? I don't think crime and shootings will go down one whit because of this new law.

But on the other hand, the absolutely-not-a-confiscation-list will come in handy when the "state of emergency" is declared.
Lumpy

Previous

Return to In The News