Wyoming attempts to deal with gun suicides

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Wyoming attempts to deal with gun suicides

Postby Markemp on Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:42 am

jdege wrote:Why is this a problem? I thought that Progressives were all in favor of assisted suicide.

Do they object to gun owners doing it in their own?

It isn’t a problem. It’s a good thing. Wyoming is at least trying to do something. I’m interested in seeing how effective it is. It would be great if they can significantly improve their numbers.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:51 am

The 'Universal Background Check (except for criminals)' makes it illegal to send your guns to a friend without going to an FFL for a background check in both directions.
Last edited by Jackpine Savage on Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jackpine Savage

Postby xd ED on Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:03 am

jdege wrote:Why is this a problem? I thought that Progressives were all in favor of assisted suicide.

This seems rather discriminatory; they certainly aren't showing much concern for those who identify as female, a demographic which rarely uses firearms to end their own lives.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jdege on Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:30 pm

Democrats in Minnesota House advance radical assisted suicide bill
jdege

Postby vingrjoe on Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:13 pm

My nephew attempted suicide fives times, employing different methods each time. Only on the last try did he attempt to use a firearm, thank God he was stopped and failed the other tries.

My point being is a firearm is a tool that can be used for good or evil. It doesn't make people commit suicide any more than a rope does or an automobile running in the garage.

On a related matter, it's peculiar how liberals are "concerned" with protecting peoples' lives unless they are a baby in the womb... godless hypocrites.
vingrjoe

Postby Markemp on Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:27 pm

vingrjoe wrote:My nephew attempted suicide fives times, employing different methods each time. Only on the last try did he attempt to use a firearm, thank God he was stopped and failed the other tries.

My point being is a firearm is a tool that can be used for good or evil. It doesn't make people commit suicide any more than a rope does or an automobile running in the garage.

On a related matter, it's peculiar how liberals are "concerned" with protecting peoples' lives unless they are a baby in the womb... godless hypocrites.

You should read the article then. It is about how conservatives in Wyoming are attempting to deal with gun suicide deaths without red flag laws.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby bstrawse on Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:13 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:The 'Universal Background Check (except for criminals)' makes it illegal to send your guns to a friend without going to an FFL for a background check in both directions.

That's not what MN's universal background check law says.

details here:

https://gunowners.mn/learn/minnesota-laws/ubcs/
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:15 pm

bstrawse wrote:
Jackpine Savage wrote:The 'Universal Background Check (except for criminals)' makes it illegal to send your guns to a friend without going to an FFL for a background check in both directions.

details here:

But in essence it does doesn’t it? Either you use an Ffl or you create and retain the record, and presumably the liability that goes along with it. So if you don’t want the liability then it is off to the Ffl. Or am I missing something?

And yes I have read the link and watched the videos but I have misunderstood things before.
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:02 pm

It's been illegal to send a firearm to anyone but an FFL for decades.

Did you mean "lend"?
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:45 am

jdege wrote:

Did you mean "lend"?

This is not a true statement. His friend could very well be in the same state.

I also have shipped several guns to manufacturers for warranty work with out using an ffl.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:19 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
jdege wrote:

Did you mean "lend"?

This is not a true statement. His friend could very well be in the same state.

I also have shipped several guns to manufacturers for warranty work with out using an ffl.

^^^THIS^^^^
An FFL is required when ownership crosses a state line.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jdege on Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:47 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
jdege wrote:
Jackpine Savage wrote:It's been illegal to send a firearm to anyone but an FFL for decades.

This is not a true statement. His friend could very well be in the same state..

Even within the same state, it's illegal to ship a firearm via common carrier, except to yourself or an FFL.
jdege

Postby bstrawse on Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:46 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

details here:

But in essence it does doesn’t it? Either you use an Ffl or you create and retain the record, and presumably the liability that goes along with it. So if you don’t want the liability then it is off to the Ffl. Or am I missing something?

And yes I have read the link and watched the videos but I have misunderstood things before.

No. You can either go through a FFL or you can create and retain the record (which does not require going through a FFL) - these are not the same thing.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:57 am

jdege wrote:Even within the same state, it's illegal to ship a firearm via common carrier, except to yourself or an FFL.

Is this MN law? USPS has specific instructions on their site on how you can ship long guns via mail within your state. As stated, I have had several manufactures arrange for me to ship (I believe via Fed Ex but it could have been UPS) direct to them and they have shipped direct back. I don't believe either of us are in violation of a law.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:06 am

bstrawse wrote:
No. You can either go through a FFL or you can create and retain the record (which does not require going through a FFL) - these are not the same thing.

Bryan

I am still confused. If you do a transfer though an FFL the FFL will run a background check correct? We now have 2 ways in MN to transfer handguns and Mil style guns. Through an FFL or use the record form and retain it for 10 years. If you lose the form you have committed a crime correct? If you have reason to believe the person lied on the forum and still transferred, you have committed a crime. Therefore, if said firearm were to be used nefariously it is completely reasonable in our legal climate to assume it is possible for a prosecutor to make the case that you as the transferer committed a crime because YOU were the point of purchase control and "should have known". I.E. you are taking on liability in transferring the gun. Similar liability as any gun store owner however without the benefit of a ATF back ground check to call into as your defense. I contend that to sell a firearm in this state of the above stated type, you are taking on risk. If you do not want that risk as part of this transaction you have only one option. The options the poster stated. I can only speak for me but if I am to take on that risk, my glocks cost $50,000 a piece.
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to In The News