California cannot require background checks to buy ammunitio

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

California cannot require background checks to buy ammunitio

Postby jdege on Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:38 am

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/judge-blocks-california-requiring-background-checks-buy-ammunition-2024-01-31/
California cannot require background checks to buy ammunition, judge rules
Jan 31 (Reuters) - California cannot enforce a law requiring people to undergo background checks to buy ammunition, because it violates the constitutional right to bear arms, a federal judge has ruled.

In a decision made public on Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez in San Diego said the background checks have "no historical pedigree," and violate the Second Amendment by treating all citizens as having no right to buy ammunition.

[...]

California appealed the decision to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, and Benitez rejected its request for a stay that would allow background checks during that process.

What does this make, 0 for 5 in California court cases?
jdege

Re: California cannot require background checks to buy ammunitio

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:01 pm

I believe they have a two part agenda. The first,“ throw shxt at the wall, see what sticks”. Second, bankrupt the 2nd Amendment organizations.
Sorcerer

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:34 am

The 9th Circus will reverse this as soon as it gets appealed.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:22 am

Judge Benitez is a blessing, but unfortunately, Jackpine is right.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Lumpy on Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:59 pm

Constitutional question: has it ever been argued that two provisions of the constitution are fundamentally in conflict? Because I could see Kalifornia claiming that the entire Second Amendment conflicts with the mandate of the government to establish peace, order and safety. Not that they'd be right but that seems to be the way they think.
Lumpy

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:50 pm

I'm not a Constitutional scholar, but the Constitution doesn't give us our rights, it limits the power of government.

In that context, I don't see how there could be.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby bstrawse on Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:12 pm

Lumpy wrote:Constitutional question: has it ever been argued that two provisions of the constitution are fundamentally in conflict? Because I could see Kalifornia claiming that the entire Second Amendment conflicts with the mandate of the government to establish peace, order and safety. Not that they'd be right but that seems to be the way they think.

Generally, yes - and SCOTUS has not agreed with this approach.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby jdege on Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:20 pm

Lumpy wrote:Constitutional question: has it ever been argued that two provisions of the constitution are fundamentally in conflict? Because I could see Kalifornia claiming that the entire Second Amendment conflicts with the mandate of the government to establish peace, order and safety. Not that they'd be right but that seems to be the way they think.

If you share the correct understanding of the nature of fundamental rights, they cannot, because rights are inherently negative, and negative rights cannot conflict.

Negative rights enumerate things that cannot be done.

That you can't do X to me and that I cannot do Y for you can never be in conflict.

When Progressivism got its start, almost 200 years ago, they hated the idea of fundamental rights, because it limited the power of government to do good. And they, of course, one they gained power, would only do good, because they were the good guys and they would mean well.

So their initial position was that there were no rights. "Nonsense on stilts" one early Progressive called them. And they found that to be a difficult sell.

Then they had was brilliant idea, they'd come to with a whole bunch of new rights, positive rights, thing that must be given to you. It was part and parcel of their great lie, that Progressivism was the new, improved Liberalism.

Of course , positive rights inherently conflic. What you give to Joe you can't give to Bill. So you need to have some arbiter to decide whose right wins. And this, of course, would be the Progressives in government.

And they expected people not to notice that rights that are granted only at the discretion of government aren't rights at all. That's exactly what they intended.
jdege

Postby Lumpy on Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:15 pm

Thanks jdege, that really says it all!
Lumpy

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:29 am

Personally, I despise the term "negative rights". Recognizing and respecting Natural Rights is not a negative, which is what the progressive left wants you to think.

Anything you must take from someone else to bestow it upon another is not a "right".
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby xd ED on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:28 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Personally, I despise the term "negative rights". Recognizing and respecting Natural Rights is not a negative, which is what the progressive left wants you to think.

Anything you must take from someone else to bestow it upon another is not a "right".

Jason Lewis once stated it rather succinctly.
I believe the context was a discussion of a person's 'right' to healthcare, housing, etc....
to paraphrase-

'...It's not a right if anyone is obligated to provide it for you....
Rights are natural; they exist without any action from anyone.
If someone is obligated to provide you with something,it's a privilege'
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:44 am

Yep, the decision was stayed, or whatever the legal mumbo-jumbo term is. I think it is going to be heard by a three judge panel.
Jackpine Savage

Return to In The News