Biden Reportedly Is Planning To Unilaterally Mandate Backgro

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Biden Reportedly Is Planning To Unilaterally Mandate Backgro

Postby jdege on Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:40 pm

https://reason.com/2024/02/01/biden-reportedly-is-planning-to-unilaterally-mandate-background-checks-for-all-gun-sales/
Biden Reportedly Is Planning To Unilaterally Mandate Background Checks for All Gun Sales
A watchdog group cites ATF "whistleblowers" who describe a proposed policy that would be plainly inconsistent with federal law.
Nearly a year ago, President Joe Biden issued an executive order aimed at "increasing the number of background checks conducted before firearm sales, moving the U.S. as close to universal background checks as possible without additional legislation." According to the watchdog group Empower Oversight, which cites two unnamed "whistleblowers" at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), the agency is working on regulations that would go all the way, purporting to require background checks for all private gun sales. It is hard to see how the ATF can do that "without additional legislation."

Under current federal law, background checks are required only for sales by federally licensed dealers. A rule that the ATF proposed last September would expand the definition of "dealer" to encompass some but not all occasional gun sellers. But even that controversial proposal does not go as far as the plan described by Empower America's sources, who say "the ATF has drafted a 1,300-page document in support of a rule that would effectively ban private sales of firearms from one citizen to another by requiring background checks for every sale."
jdege

Re: Biden Reportedly Is Planning To Unilaterally Mandate Backgro

Postby Markemp on Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:30 pm

I really doubt that is going to happen. Especially before the election. Why motivate the GOP base with something like this?

I suspect that Empower Oversight has a very prominent "Donate" button on that article.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby jdege on Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:26 pm

Markemp wrote:I really doubt that is going to happen. Especially before the election. Why motivate the GOP base with something like this?

My guess is they'll try, be forced to repeal, and the outrageous new definition of "dealers" will be let stand, because everyone will have been busy blocking the background check requirements.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:05 pm

jdege wrote:
Markemp wrote:I really doubt that is going to happen. Especially before the election. Why motivate the GOP base with something like this?

My guess is they'll try, be forced to repeal, and the outrageous new definition of "dealers" will be let stand, because everyone will have been busy blocking the background check requirements.

This
Smoke and mirrors, move along, nothing to see here.
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News