Hawaii court says 'spirit of Aloha' supersedes Constitution,

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Hawaii court says 'spirit of Aloha' supersedes Constitution,

Postby jdege on Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:06 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hawaii-court-says-spirit-aloha-supersedes-constitution-second-amendment
Hawaii court says 'spirit of Aloha' supersedes Constitution, Second Amendment
Democratic Hawaii AG hails court ruling as 'thoughtful and scholarly'
Hawaii's highest court ruled Wednesday that Second Amendment rights as interpreted by the U.S. Supreme Court do not extend to Hawaii citizens, citing the "spirit of Aloha."

In the ruling, which was penned by Hawaii Supreme Court Justice Todd Eddins, the court determined that states "retain the authority to require" individuals to hold proper permits before carrying firearms in public. The decision also concluded that the Hawaii Constitution broadly "does not afford a right to carry firearms in public places for self defense," further pointing to the "spirit of Aloha" and even quoting HBO's TV drama "The Wire."

"Article I, section 17 of the Hawaii Constitution mirrors the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution," the Hawaii Supreme Court decision states. "We read those words differently than the current United States Supreme Court. We hold that in Hawaii there is no state constitutional right to carry a firearm in public."

"The spirit of Aloha clashes with a federally-mandated lifestyle that lets citizens walk around with deadly weapons during day-to-day activities," it adds. "The history of the Hawaiian Islands does not include a society where armed people move about the community to possibly combat the deadly aims of others."
jdege

Re: Hawaii court says 'spirit of Aloha' supersedes Constitution,

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:51 pm

Wow. I guess no more federal aid then.
Holland&Holland

Postby Markemp on Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:49 am

SCOTUS defying is so hot right now. Thanks Texas for showing us the way.

The Roberts Court is going to go down as one of the biggest jokes in American history.

“John Marshall has made his decision. Now let him enforce it.”
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby bstrawse on Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:31 am

Markemp wrote:SCOTUS defying is so hot right now. Thanks Texas for showing us the way.

Yeah, I'm not in favor of any state defying SCOTUS.

Hawaii's decision, if properly appealed, is going to get reversed.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Sorcerer on Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:38 am

So no more carrying a knife, machete, baseball bat, ball peen hammers. Close all military base’s and then listen to the whining that their economy tanked. How long before China would come knocking at there door. Tourism would not be enough to keep their economy going.
Sorcerer

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:40 am

Markemp wrote:The Roberts Court is going to go down as one of the biggest jokes in American history.
Attachments
main-qimg-6376280d10b11a53506b4cdc8fa1594a.jpeg
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Markemp on Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:48 am

bstrawse wrote:
Markemp wrote:SCOTUS defying is so hot right now. Thanks Texas for showing us the way.

I hope so. There have been too many states thinking they can just ignore the federal government. The 14th Amendment matters.

But this also shows how bad the Bruen ruling was. Hawaii wasn't a state until fairly recently, and there was already a long history of various forms of gun safety laws at all levels by then. The ruling by the Hawaiian Supreme Court is just using the SCOTUS ruling against itself.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:04 am

You mean like when St. Paul and Minneapolis tried defying state preemption laws declaring themselves "Home Rule Cities"?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Markemp on Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:13 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:You mean like when St. Paul and Minneapolis tried defying state preemption laws declaring themselves "Home Rule Cities"?

Exactly.

https://www.minneapolismn.gov/governmen ... r-history/
Markemp

Postby bstrawse on Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:54 am

Markemp wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

I hope so. There have been too many states thinking they can just ignore the federal government. The 14th Amendment matters.

But this also shows how bad the Bruen ruling was. Hawaii wasn't a state until fairly recently, and there was already a long history of various forms of gun safety laws at all levels by then. The ruling by the Hawaiian Supreme Court is just using the SCOTUS ruling against itself.

We'll agree to disagree on all of the above.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:54 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:You mean like when St. Paul and Minneapolis tried defying state preemption laws declaring themselves "Home Rule Cities"?

Other than St Paul's recent gun storage preemption violation - what are you referencing?

Bryan
bstrawse

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:00 am

I'm afraid it's getting to the point of unreconcilable differences.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Markemp on Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:31 am

bstrawse wrote:
Markemp wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

We'll agree to disagree on all of the above.

Bryan

I literally agreed with you on hoping the Hawaii ruling gets overturned and now you disagree with it?

You think the 14th Amendment is bad too?
Markemp

Postby bstrawse on Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:25 pm

Markemp wrote:
I literally agreed with you on hoping the Hawaii ruling gets overturned and now you disagree with it?

You think the 14th Amendment is bad too?

No, I don't think that - sorry I should have been more specific.

"But this also shows how bad the Bruen ruling was."
I disagree

"Hawaii wasn't a state until fairly recently, and there was already a long history of various forms of gun safety laws at all levels by then"
But now they are a state and subject to the Constitution.

"The ruling by the Hawaiian Supreme Court is just using the SCOTUS ruling against itself"
No, this was them not following precedent. This case will be overturned if appealed by competent counsel.
bstrawse

Postby crbutler on Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:04 pm

The Roberts Court is going to go down as one of the biggest jokes in American history.

“John Marshall has made his decision. Now let him enforce it.”

You seem to forget that all of these left wing end runs around gun laws started well before TX and its attempt to get the feds to follow preexisting rules. Trying to ignore court decisions is definitely not a conservative new idea.
crbutler

Next

Return to In The News