Governor Walz and Burnsville shooter

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Governor Walz and Burnsville shooter

Postby Shots-on-target on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:11 am

Sorcerer nailed it - straw purchase - AR lower

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/ ... -purchase/
Shots-on-target

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:35 am

Markemp wrote:
ashes wrote:Actually, I was hoping that the tragedy would underscore how pointless the anti-gun legislation is.

Can we say the same thing about anti-abortion legislation?

I’ll send some well armed babies to come talk to you about that.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:20 pm

One point on anti abortion legislation is that the folks who obey laws and rules will follow it, whether by stopping performing the procedures or moving out of the jurisdiction.

But passing the law doesn’t stop people from aborting absolutely. The reason behind legalization was the huge number of botched procedures and women dying.

I have yet to see anyone seriously propose putting a woman in prison for obtaining an abortion… the usual is to propose rather draconian measures on the folks providing the procedure. Yes the TX law was supposedly aimed at folks having the procedure and out of state as well, but how many prosecutions?

It’s really not a similar argument.

No one is suggesting that the folks at modern sportsman should be tried for illegally transferring a gun because they followed the law.

As for sending well armed babies… by definition a baby is an infant. Less than 1 year old. You do that and you will have a bunch of charges against you.

I think we all can agree it would have been better if Gooden (the shooter) had been aborted.
crbutler

Postby ashes on Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:49 pm

The laws didn't work? [ shock ]

If somebody lied under oath in court and a verdict was pronounced based on that lie, do we throw the judge in jail, sue the bailiffs, and shut down that court? Or do we punish the person who lied for perjury?

If somebody lied while filling out their forms and an item was sold based on that lie, do we throw the seller in jail, sue the owner, and shut down that store? Or do we charge the straw purchaser with something? IMHO the straw purchase law shouldn't exist, because we already had that law to not provide a firearm to a prohibited person. But, the "straw purchase" law is useful because it can be used to shut down transfer even between honest parties.

I feel bad for Modern Sportsman. Walz will want to make an example out of them even though Walz has no interest in cracking down on thugs.
ashes

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:20 pm

crbutler wrote:One point on anti abortion legislation is that the folks who obey laws and rules will follow it, whether by stopping performing the procedures or moving out of the jurisdiction.

But passing the law doesn’t stop people from aborting absolutely. The reason behind legalization was the huge number of botched procedures and women dying.

I have yet to see anyone seriously propose putting a woman in prison for obtaining an abortion… the usual is to propose rather draconian measures on the folks providing the procedure. Yes the TX law was supposedly aimed at folks having the procedure and out of state as well, but how many prosecutions?

It’s really not a similar argument.

No one is suggesting that the folks at modern sportsman should be tried for illegally transferring a gun because they followed the law.

As for sending well armed babies… by definition a baby is an infant. Less than 1 year old. You do that and you will have a bunch of charges against you.

I think we all can agree it would have been better if Gooden (the shooter) had been aborted.

Some folks take the interwebs a bit too literal.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:03 pm

I should also read who originated the complaint re abortion laws…
crbutler

Postby Sorcerer on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:31 pm

It seems they are investigating the person who bought the AR lower on line and had it shipped to Modern Sportsman. If that is the weapon used in the killings I’m hoping the straw buyer is charged with 3 counts of murder. That lower was transferred in January of this year. It will be of interest if they can track the other parts that went into that AR.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:14 am

crbutler wrote:I should also read who originated the complaint re abortion laws…

:cheers:
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:37 am

Sorcerer wrote:It seems they are investigating the person who bought the AR lower on line and had it shipped to Modern Sportsman. If that is the weapon used in the killings I’m hoping the straw buyer is charged with 3 counts of murder. That lower was transferred in January of this year. It will be of interest if they can track the other parts that went into that AR.

I fear the race/ethnicity/sexual preference of the straw purchaser will have more to do with what they are charged with than the actual crimes.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Sorcerer on Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:16 pm

I believe you are probably correct. At least it’s not in Hennepin county. The real problem may be MN Attorney General. We can only hope US Attorney Andy Luger has his eyes on this for federal charges.
Sorcerer

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Sorcerer wrote:I believe you are probably correct. At least it’s not in Hennepin county. The real problem may be MN Attorney General. We can only hope US Attorney Andy Luger has his eyes on this for federal charges.

That could well be the desired end game of the soros backed cty attys and state atty general - all who are sympathetic to protected class criminals, and the reasoning behind soft pedaling enforcement, and the prosecution of crime that should clearly be in local jurisdictions:
federal take over of law enforcement and adjudication...all across the land....leading to zero local control of crime.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:20 pm

The Feds are charging her...

The two AR-15 style firearms used to kill three Burnsville first responders and wound another last month were bought by the shooter's girlfriend just weeks before he unloaded more than 100 rounds during an hours-long standoff at the couple's home, according to new federal charges unsealed Thursday.
https://www.startribune.com/federal-charges-girlfriend-bought-ar-15-style-firearms-for-felon-weeks-before-burnsville-ambush/600351072/?fbclid=IwAR0ceZKstwRhZ29w0wzlio2nWYB1c93rc_qvn0fnLAbgMaR-4JS55ApoHFc&refresh=true
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Lumpy on Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:58 pm

crbutler wrote:No one is suggesting that the folks at modern sportsman should be tried for illegally transferring a gun because they followed the law.

Maybe not in this specific case, but a lot of antis keep trying to make the case that the very existence of a commercial firearms industry meets the technical legal definition of a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_nuisance ; something that deserves to be sued out of business.
Lumpy

Postby ex-LT on Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:27 pm

crbutler wrote:No one is suggesting that the folks at modern sportsman should be tried for illegally transferring a gun because they followed the law.

Not yet, anyway. Let's not forget, Keith Ellison is suing Fleet Farm for that exact thing, claiming Fleet Farm should have been clairvoyant enough to know the purchases they're being sued for were straw purchases, even though the 4473s and background checks passed.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby 870TC on Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:01 am

Details will make a difference...if the shooter ordered and paid for items in "his name" and then had someone else pick them up and complete the paperwork... the dealers have got an issue to explain. (unclear at this time-from the sketchy reporting I've seen)
870TC

PreviousNext

Return to In The News