Governor Walz and Burnsville shooter

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Governor Walz and Burnsville shooter

Postby daleamn on Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:53 am

Governor Walz wants to know how the Burnsville shooter got his guns. (Note: the link is to a WCCO TV report.)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 0660&ei=28

Just.......sigh.
daleamn

Re: Governor Walz and Burnsville shooter

Postby Markemp on Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:51 am

It’s a fair question though? He was prohibited from having them from my understanding. What is the concern here?
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby bstrawse on Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:20 am

To be fair, I'd like to know how he obtained firearms as well.

That said, Walz is trying to use this to push for "safe storage" and probably some other gun control - we'll see what he has to say today on the topic.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Sorcerer on Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:33 am

If one has ties to the criminal side of society nothing is impossible. Black marketing of stolen guns is not possible to regulate. People who do straw purchases are criminals who have not been caught, yet. If the money is good enough the first thing out of the mouth of someone who buys firearms for those that can’t nowadays will be, that firearm is in my closet. Dang can you believe that the box is empty. Someone stole it. In this case the shooter can’t tell who he got from.
Sorcerer

Postby ex-LT on Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:28 am

Markemp wrote:It’s a fair question though? He was prohibited from having them from my understanding.

Yes, it is a fair question, and yes, he was a prohibited person.

Markemp wrote:What is the concern here?

You CANNOT really be that obtuse, can you? The concern, given the anti-2A leanings of our current legislature and the occupant of the governor's mansion, is that they will implement legislation that will place additional onerous requirements on law abiding gun owners, and will be completely ignored by the segment of society that is actually CAUSING the problem(s).

All under the auspices of "reducing gun violence", of course.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby daleamn on Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:48 am

Almost everybody here understood my first post...ex-LT spelled it out VERY clearly---better than I could have.

I thought another question that SHOULD have been asked (but was not mentioned by the Governor) was why this guy, with his criminal record, was still out amongst us?
daleamn

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:57 pm

He had served his time.’Got a pass on the last domestic charge because the complainant, wife/ girlfriend ghosted the trial, automatic dismissal. His family stated that he said he wasn’t going to go back to jail. He knew he was going to jail when the 911 call was made. He evidently knew he was going to be someone’s olo lady once back inside. Peanut butter or jelly.
Sorcerer

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:46 pm

This happened on waltz watch. Time to point the finger at that POS. What’s the concern? Markemp, you’re a moron asking this question. It was your worthless democrat governor NOT going after all the guns on the black market. Instead, worthless democrats are more concerned about taking guns away from law abiding citizens instead of the bad guys.
Bearcatrp

Postby xd ED on Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:01 pm

One theory I've read about the firearms is that they were the property of the woman he lived with; who, If I read things correctly, cannot be too bright. She had previously filed an order for protection from him, and then had the guy move in with her....
If true, she allowed a felon access to firearms.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Sorcerer on Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:58 pm

xd ED wrote:One theory I've read about the firearms is that they were the property of the woman he lived with; who, If I read things correctly, cannot be too bright. She had previously filed an order for protection from him, and then had the guy move in with her....
If true, she allowed a felon access to firearms.

Can you say straw purchases. Some of the reports made it sound like he had turned his life around. I’m starting to believe he/ they just hadn’t been caught yet.
Sorcerer

Postby Scratch on Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:44 am

Markemp wrote:It’s a fair question though? He was prohibited from having them from my understanding. What is the concern here?

Yeah, they should make it against the law to:

1. Steal guns,
2. Conduct a straw purchase,
3. Buy guns illegally.
4. Have guns if you’re a prohibited person.
Oh and…
5. Commit murder.

Oh wait…
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby ashes on Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:58 pm

Actually, I was hoping that the tragedy would underscore how pointless the anti-gun legislation is. He was "prohibited" yet he possessed. The prohibitions only affect the law abiding, and they protect nobody. So if the rule of the law led to that, then of what use was the rule?

While that logic doesn't mean a thing to the proponents of civilian disarmament, I do hope that the representatives from non-metro counties will use this to grow a backbone.

Walz wants to know how the guy got it so he can go after private sales some more, or FFL's some more, or interstate commerce some more. His questions in no way imply that he wants to fix a problem other than the problem of honest hard working people being armed.
ashes

Postby Markemp on Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:51 pm

ashes wrote:Actually, I was hoping that the tragedy would underscore how pointless the anti-gun legislation is.

Can we say the same thing about anti-abortion legislation?
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Sorcerer on Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:19 pm

Markemp wrote:
ashes wrote:Actually, I was hoping that the tragedy would underscore how pointless the anti-gun legislation is.

This sight and thread is gun rights and guns related. This what Democrats do when they’re ideologically and rationally starts to run out of gas, attempt to move the goalposts in an other direction.
Sorcerer

Postby xd ED on Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:10 pm

Markemp wrote:

Owning a firearm harms no one.

Can we say the same thing about carjacking, fraud, homicide, or any number of other immoral acts we outlaw?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to In The News