Jury finds NRA execs guilty

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Jury finds NRA execs guilty

Postby Markemp on Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:41 pm

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/23/12322290 ... t-new-york

The only thing that can stop a bad man with a gun is a jury of his peers.

A Manhattan jury found three top executives of the National Rifle Association liable Friday in a lengthy civil trial that focused on alleged corruption and the misspending of millions of dollars.

Longtime NRA leader Wayne LaPierre, a key architect in the nonprofit's hardline gun rights agenda who stepped down as CEO last month, was central to the case brought by New York state Attorney General Letitia James.

Jurors found that LaPierre "violated his statutory obligation to discharge the duties of his position in good faith."

They concluded that he had caused roughly $5.4 million worth of harm to the nonprofit group's finances — though they also found that LaPierre had already repaid roughly $2 million.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Re: Jury finds NRA execs guilty

Postby xd ED on Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:22 pm

Markemp wrote:https://www.npr.org/2024/02/23/1232229060/nra-wayne-lapierre-corruption-trial-verdict-new-york

The only thing that can stop a bad man with a gun is a jury of his peers.

A Manhattan jury found three top executives of the National Rifle Association liable Friday in a lengthy civil trial that focused on alleged corruption and the misspending of millions of dollars.

Longtime NRA leader Wayne LaPierre, a key architect in the nonprofit's hardline gun rights agenda who stepped down as CEO last month, was central to the case brought by New York state Attorney General Letitia James.

Jurors found that LaPierre "violated his statutory obligation to discharge the duties of his position in good faith."

They concluded that he had caused roughly $5.4 million worth of harm to the nonprofit group's finances — though they also found that LaPierre had already repaid roughly $2 million.

Where did you read the word 'guilty'?
It's a civil matter.

None of the defendants has been criminally charged as part of James’ lawsuit.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Lumpy on Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:57 pm

Markemp wrote:The only thing that can stop a bad man with a gun is a jury of his peers.

Har-har. :roll: Since LaPierre didn't attempt to murder anyone I'm not impressed with your wit.
Lumpy

Postby jdege on Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:22 pm

Anything about requirements placed on the NRA itself?
jdege

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:37 am

Left wing prosecutor, left wing judge, a jury from Manhattan, it was a forgone conclusion. :roll:

I wonder when they will go after Black Lives Matter?
Jackpine Savage

Postby Markemp on Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:08 am

jdege wrote:Anything about requirements placed on the NRA itself?

That's the next step. I didn't see in the article about when that would happen though.

It'll be really interesting to see what the judge does here. I'm leaning towards a special master being appointed who will work on rebuilding the leadership with non-corrupt people.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby GoodDoctor on Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:38 pm

Markemp wrote:
jdege wrote:Anything about requirements placed on the NRA itself?

That's the next step. I didn't see in the article about when that would happen though.

It'll be really interesting to see what the judge does here. I'm leaning towards a special master being appointed who will work on rebuilding the leadership with non-corrupt people.

You're a little over baked here. Of the executives at trial, only two were found to have miss behaved, the counsel for the NRA was not. The two exec's who failed to act in a fiduciary capacity on behalf of the NRA were ordered to pay restitution. Restitution to the NRA, the victim in this sordid affair. There is absolutely no legal reason for the judge to consider appointing some special counsel to step in and run the NRA to prevent future corruption. The NRA is quite capable of achieving this on their own. NRA members have for years complained of LaPierre's, et al, behavior in the money management of the NRA, and many have left the NRA and/or stopped contributing to the NRA. Now that the "ship" is being righted, those of us who believe in the 2nd amendment need to start thinking real hard about getting back on the NRA ship and help with bailing it out. We all know of and share in the NRA's past work in fostering protection of all Americans under the 2nd amendment in the past; the NRA, in the past, has proven to be a very strong and effective voice across the nation. No other entity is in any position to step in and take up the mantle of 2nd amendment defense. We need to get the NRA back on its feet and working on stopping all of this nonsense.
GoodDoctor

Postby Markemp on Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:22 pm

GoodDoctor wrote:The NRA is quite capable of achieving this on their own.

:shock:

They literally cannot do this. It's been proven in a court of law by a jury of their peers. That's the whole point of this lawsuit.
Markemp

Postby jdege on Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:58 pm

GoodDoctor wrote:You're a little over baked here. Of the executives at trial, only two were found to have miss behaved, the counsel for the NRA was not. The two exec's who failed to act in a fiduciary capacity on behalf of the NRA were ordered to pay restitution. Restitution to the NRA, the victim in this sordid affair. There is absolutely no legal reason for the judge to consider appointing some special counsel to step in and run the NRA to prevent future corruption.

The problem is that the NRA has structured board elections so as to make it nearly impossible for unapproved candidates to be elected.

We need a new board, but we've needed that for years, and our efforts to replace the board have been unsuccessful.
Last edited by jdege on Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdege

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:02 am

Here's some good background information from Mrgunsngear.

I've been an endowment member since the late nineties. I also haven't given them any money for twenty years. I do hope that this lawsuit finally turns the ship around. It would be gloriously ironic if Letitia James' lawsuit results in a stronger NRA. Fortunately, on the political/judicial front, other organizations exist that are accomplishing more than the NRA ever did. I hope that the NRA's core mission of education and training continues to function. As far as I know, the majority of non profit gun clubs still depend on the NRA for their insurance.

At the same time, this lawsuit is another warning bell to get our organizations out of left wing **** hole states. If I remember correctly this lawsuit originated over the NRA's Concealed Carry insurance (yes another bad idea from the NRA) and devolved from there.

Jackpine Savage

Return to In The News