Federal judge dismisses charge against USPS employee for car

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Federal judge dismisses charge against USPS employee for car

Postby jdege on Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:37 pm

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/workforce/2024/01/federal-judge-upholds-usps-employees-right-to-carry-gun-at-work-for-self-defense/
Federal judge dismisses charge against USPS employee for carrying gun at work for self-defense
USPS tells its employees that the U.S. District Court's recent ruling 'does not change the organization’s policy' prohibiting firearms in post offices.
A federal judge is challenging gun restrictions in post offices across the country.

U.S. District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle, in a ruling last Friday, first reported by Reuters, dismissed a criminal charge against a Postal Service employee who brought a concealed handgun into the post office where he worked.

Mizelle said she dismissed the charge of illegally possessing a gun in a federal facility, because it violates the USPS employee’s Second Amendment right to bear arms.
jdege

Re: Federal judge dismisses charge against USPS employee for car

Postby Lumpy on Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:11 pm

I presume the USPS will appeal claiming that post offices are sensitive areas; what I'm wondering is on what basis they'll claim that, other than "gunz iz bad".
Lumpy

Re: Federal judge dismisses charge against USPS employee for car

Postby jdege on Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:44 pm

Lumpy wrote:I presume the USPS will appeal claiming that post offices are sensitive areas; what I'm wondering is on what basis they'll claim that, other than "gunz iz bad".

USPS regulations forbid guns, but the authorizing statute just forbids guns carried for unlawful purposes.
jdege

Return to In The News