First gun-sniffing dog on the clock at Mall of America

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: First gun-sniffing dog on the clock at Mall of America

Postby atomic41 on Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:38 pm

Bryan, do you have any comments on where we stand regarding this gun dog and mall carry? I know this has been a big topic of debate for years and as a gun owner I'm not sure if I should carry or not in the mall. Does it come down to needing a test case to see how the court would rule? For the record, I am not volunteering. :lol:

If I'm not mistaken, we still don't have a clear answer. The law says we can carry...the mall says we can't. Is that where we are stuck?
atomic41

Postby bstrawse on Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:08 pm

atomic41 wrote:Bryan, do you have any comments on where we stand regarding this gun dog and mall carry? I know this has been a big topic of debate for years and as a gun owner I'm not sure if I should carry or not in the mall. Does it come down to needing a test case to see how the court would rule? For the record, I am not volunteering. :lol:

If I'm not mistaken, we still don't have a clear answer. The law says we can carry...the mall says we can't. Is that where we are stuck?

Our view of the law is that they can't prohibit.

Their view of the law is that they can.

The Bloomington City Attorney agrees with the mall.

After 16 years of DFL judge appointments, I really wouldn't want to take this case into a MN State Court to challenge it.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby daleamn on Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:19 pm

bstrawse---well, we appreciate your efforts.

That said, now that the dog can sniff out guns could it be possible to train the dog to sniff out GOOD DEALS on guns? The dog could hire themselves out to us and have a lucrative side hustle for sure.
daleamn

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:39 pm

daleamn wrote:bstrawse---well, we appreciate your efforts.

That said, now that the dog can sniff out guns could it be possible to train the dog to sniff out GOOD DEALS on guns? The dog could hire themselves out to us and have a lucrative side hustle for sure.

Much harder to sniff out.
Holland&Holland

Postby Sorcerer on Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 pm

I guess that the dog has been trained to detect gun powder, burnt or unburned. Hum, not that I have any reason to frequent MOA. Spare magazines for my properly stored firearm in vehicle. Or a lowly 22 cartridge in a pocket.
Sorcerer

Postby atomic41 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:49 am

bstrawse wrote:
atomic41 wrote:Bryan, do you have any comments on where we stand regarding this gun dog and mall carry? I know this has been a big topic of debate for years and as a gun owner I'm not sure if I should carry or not in the mall. Does it come down to needing a test case to see how the court would rule? For the record, I am not volunteering. :lol:

Our view of the law is that they can't prohibit.

Their view of the law is that they can.

The Bloomington City Attorney agrees with the mall.

After 16 years of DFL judge appointments, I really wouldn't want to take this case into a MN State Court to challenge it.

b

That's what I figured...thank you.
atomic41

Postby daleamn on Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:46 am

Much harder to sniff out. [Good Gun Deals]

No doubt. But I still have a mind's-eye picture of me walking the dog on a leash thru the Scheels store on the dog's day off. The dog would sniff around the display cases then come to a halt and go into a full point at the Ruger Super Wrangler .22LR/.22WMR cowboy six-shooter. It was $240 right before Christmas, $270 now. Sigh. Another lost opportunity.
daleamn

Previous

Return to In The News