First gun-sniffing dog on the clock at Mall of America

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby xd ED on Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:53 am

First gun-sniffing dog on the clock at Mall of America - KSTP.com

A new tool to keep guns out of Mall of America is already working, according to mall officials.

After several high-profile shootings in the past two years, the mall has added its first gun-sniffing dog. For about 20 years, MOA has used K9s to sniff out explosives, but now they’re training all eight of their dogs to detect firearms, a fairly new concept in the canine world.

Kenny McDonough, the mall’s Canine Lt., says the dogs undergo an extensive eight-week training in-house. They learn to smell every component of a firearm to detect who may have a gun on them.

“None of our dogs do any kind of barking, any kind of bite work,” said McDonough. “They’re trained to pinpoint down to the actual person where that odor is coming from.”

McDonough demonstrated how K9 Ellie detects firearms. He says Ellie will make a 90-degree turn and pull.

The mall’s head of security, Will Bernhjelm, says in past years, they’ve focused on explosive detection shortly after 9/11. As that threat evolved, they began exploring different options.

“They’re used to searching static objects like garbage cans or suitcases or backpacks, and now they’re searching moving objects,” said Bernhjelm.

Mall officials believe this new security measure will make a difference, noting that as of now, there haven’t been any false detections.

Mall officials say most of their finds have been conceal and carry people who weren’t aware that the mall is private property and doesn’t allow firearms.

Excerpt from a FaceBook post:

Now I am tempted to bathe myself in gunpowder and RemOil before going to the mall. Maybe bring some extra to make sure everything I touch has a scent. Or better yet, maybe leave a little trail of gunpowder all Yosemite Sam style
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Re: First gun-sniffing dog on the clock at Mall of America

Postby westhope on Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:57 am

Why would you want to go to the MOA?
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby jdege on Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:34 am

westhope wrote:Why would you want to go to the MOA?

Just to piss off some people who desperately need to be pissed off.

Personally I'd suggest Hoppe's #9.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:07 am

jdege wrote:
westhope wrote:Why would you want to go to the MOA?

Just to piss off some people who desperately need to be pissed off.

Personally I'd suggest Hoppe's #9.

My thinking is to enlist the support of several young males of diverse ethnicity;
film the response as they claim to havng been profiled,
wait for the mall's PR people to send Fido home...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:13 pm

Huh, never knew it was posted...
Holland&Holland

Postby atomic41 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:47 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Huh, never knew it was posted...

It's not posted because a landlord can't. Individual stores can (renters). Now having said that, MOA used to post it but quit because as I stated, they can't restrict your ability to carry. So as of now they don't.

So WTF is this point of this dog? It's not illegal to carry in the mall. This is just straightforward harassment.

Look for yourself: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/624.714

I will print the statute if I ever need to go to MOA and have it on me just in case I need to tell them to buzz off.
atomic41

Postby Lumpy on Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:13 pm

I thought MOA claimed the entirety of the common space outside the stores as MOA property where they could prohibit carry. Was there a ruling against them?
Lumpy

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:51 am

Maybe we should have a group outing there, see if they trespass the lot of us.

Too bad there's nothing there I want to see.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Scratch on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:11 am

Can they sniff a knife?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:52 pm

Scratch wrote:Can they sniff a knife?

Rub it down with a little clp and I bet so!
Holland&Holland

Postby westhope on Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:10 pm

What can any non-police security guards do legally other than ask you to leave?

Physically detain you? Search you?
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Lumpy on Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:38 pm

westhope wrote:What can any non-police security guards do legally other than ask you to leave?

Physically detain you? Search you?

Presumably they have the same rights as any other citizen- to use "reasonable force" to prevent the commission of a felony on private property, to defend self and others against bodily harm, and to perform a citizen's arrest in accordance with MN statutes. IANAL, but I translate this as they can stop and search someone for suspected shoplifting, restrain someone who attempts to assault anyone, and forcibly detain someone they've witnessed committing a crime pending the arrival of police.

ETA: oh, specifically in the case of carrying the worst they can legally do is trespass you, and that's only a misdemeanor if you refuse to leave. Of course if it becomes a matter of conflicting accounts you better hope the incident was recorded.
Lumpy

Postby bstrawse on Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:21 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Maybe we should have a group outing there, see if they trespass the lot of us.

Too bad there's nothing there I want to see.

With a DFL trifecta in control, let's not do this right now.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby daleamn on Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:14 am

ETA: oh, specifically in the case of carrying the worst they can legally do is trespass you, and that's only a misdemeanor if you refuse to leave.

I remember years ago when concealed carry was being discussed (and approved!!!) at the legislature, (when the legislators opposed to concealed donned the big blue bomb squad vest with the high collar to testify 'the streets will run red' (maybe the left should trademark that phrase along with 'gun violence' and 'for the children') ) ANYWAY...

a few of the legislators were totally gobsmacked when they were told bringing a gun into a gun free zone would be trespassing. That is, to enforce the gun free zone the gun free zone folk would have to ask you to leave and that if they asked you to leave and you DID there would be no legal consequences for you.

I'm pretty sure they wanted it to be if you stepped foot in a gun free zone with a firearm you'd immediately have your gun confiscated and you'd lose the right to own any firearms at all forever and ever and somehow this would happen without the gun free zone folk having to take any action. Like somehow the gun free zone sign would magically cause this to occur.

With a DFL trifecta in control, let's not do this right now.

Yeah, you're probably right.
daleamn

Postby bstrawse on Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:46 am

The DFL's proposed "ban carry on government property & buildings" would cause signs to be posted in those areas - and then carrying past those signs would be a misdemeanor.

This is one of the bills that may still yet pass, we're waiting to see what the DFL will do.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Next

Return to In The News