Operation Safe Cities to Coordinate Regional Law Enforcement

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Operation Safe Cities to Coordinate Regional Law Enforcement

Postby jdege on Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:16 pm

https://www.justice.gov/usao-cdca/pr/us-attorneys-office-launches-operation-safe-cities-coordinate-regional-law-enforcement
U.S. Attorney’s Office Launches Operation Safe Cities to Coordinate Regional Law Enforcement Response to the Most Violent Offenders Involved in Commercial Robberies and Gun Offenses
LOS ANGELES – Federal and local law enforcement officials today announced the launch of Operation Safe Cities, an initiative that includes new protocols, enhanced partnerships and a renewed emphasis on violent crime designed to increase federal prosecutions of the region’s most violent criminals, particularly those involved in commercial robberies, kidnappings, extortions and gun offenses.

Combatting violent crime is one of the Justice Department’s top priorities, and this United States Attorney’s Office is strengthening existing partnerships and creating new connections between federal and local law enforcement to take the most violent and repeat offenders off the streets.

So, what are the odds that most of their effort will end up aimed at otherwise law-abiding people for malum prohibitum gun offenses, and that the malum in se offenses, like robbery, kidnapping, and extortion will continue to be ignored?

I mean, if you it takes dozens of agents to kill one unlicensed dealer with no prior record of violence, you'd not have the resources necessary to deal with criminal gangs.
jdege

Re: Operation Safe Cities to Coordinate Regional Law Enforcement

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:13 am

jdege wrote:So, what are the odds that most of their effort will end up aimed at otherwise law-abiding people for malum prohibitum gun offenses, and that the malum in se offenses, like robbery, kidnapping, and extortion will continue to be ignored?

This is my first thought.

How about this, we put resources into prosecuting the criminals you already catch?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:30 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
jdege wrote:So, what are the odds that most of their effort will end up aimed at otherwise law-abiding people for malum prohibitum gun offenses, and that the malum in se offenses, like robbery, kidnapping, and extortion will continue to be ignored?

This is my first thought.

How about this, we put resources into prosecuting the criminals you already catch?

The story came out of California ...
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:54 am

Holland&Holland wrote:The story came out of California ...

Yes, but it's the feds. We're all going to be dealing with this.
jdege

Postby daleamn on Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:01 am

Say Amen and AMEN.

My go to story about this in the guy in the Twin Cities that fired three rounds into a car with people in it (none of the four people in the car were hit but that's just luck) and the guy got 3 months house arrest.

And when it came time to being sentenced last Friday, Judge Joy Bartscher went even more lenient than plea agreement called for.
According to the sentencing order, Jacob Gunn will serve 120 days of house arrest with work release. Judge Bartscher gave him a stay of imposition for his sentence, which means if he successfully completes four years of probation, his felony assault with a deadly weapon for shooting a car with kids inside will be reduced to a misdemeanor.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/cri ... 83367bd493

You really just can't make this stuff up anymore.
daleamn

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm

jdege wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:The story came out of California ...

Yes, but it's the feds. We're all going to be dealing with this.

I think you mis-understood my point. The comment was "How about this, we put resources into prosecuting the criminals you already catch?"
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News