This is crazy

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

This is crazy

Postby atomic41 on Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:41 pm

Just imagine how the tyrants in this state are salivating over what they can do as a result of this.

https://youtu.be/V8W8FsowWFU?si=ueJFk15f_uNEhwqU
atomic41

Re: This is crazy

Postby Lumpy on Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:13 pm

Since there are laws on the books about how one may lawfully transport firearms in a vehicle without a carry permit, and I don't believe a unsecured firearm immediately accessible to the driver qualifies, then the defendant should have been charged for that. Ruling that the entire interior of a car is "public space" seems way over-expansive to me.
Lumpy

Postby daleamn on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:16 pm

Ruling that the entire interior of a car is "public space" seems way over-expansive to me.

So....since it's a public space, can I just get in your car? You know, get out of the sun, get out of the rain, relax, have a soft drink or a snack? Just wondering. Oh, and can I bring my dog?
daleamn

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:37 pm

What about the ice house issue when DNR raided one, no warrant, arrested the guy, found guilty, then overturned on appeal. If I remember correctly, judges stated it was considered his home (private property). Now this was on a public lake. What the hell is the difference?
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:30 pm

My understanding is that this was misreported. Rod Doer had an explanation on what the ruling actually was and it made sense. I don’t recall the particulars though.
Holland&Holland

Postby bstrawse on Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:43 am

This ruling is consistent with the statutory language and prior case law from the MN Supreme Court - this decision did not surprise us.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Return to In The News