Federal Judge Overturns ATF ‘Pistol Brace’ Rule

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:15 pm

https://www.theepochtimes.com/us/federal-judge-overturns-atf-pistol-brace-rule-5668374
The judge granted the plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment and ordered the rule vacated.
A federal judge in Texas has overturned a rule issued by the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) that targeted pistol attachments known as “stabilizing braces” or “pistol braces” and treated pistols fitted with such devices as short-barreled rifles, subjecting them to various restrictions.

In a 12-page decision issued on June 13, U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor ruled that the ATF’s rule that treated roughly 99 percent of pistols fitted with the braces as short-barreled rifles violated the Administrative Procedures Act’s procedural requirements because it was not a “logical outgrowth” of the proposed version of the rule.
jdege

Re: Federal Judge Overturns ATF ‘Pistol Brace’ Rule

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:56 am

:booyah: :booyah: :booyah:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:36 am

It will probably get reinstated today. I can't read the article, but the 5th Circuit has a hearing on all the pistol brace cases Aug 5th.
"I'll just store it at my place in Arizona. :lol:" - Markemp - 2/18/24
Jackpine Savage

Postby Lumpy on Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:29 pm

And Friday June 14th the Supreme Court said that the BATFE cannot call bump stocks automatic firearms because they don't fit the legal definition of the term.

One might wish for a broader precedent against infringement, but we'll take technicality wins.
Lumpy

Return to In The News