relocating from NC to International Falls MN!

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Re: Re: relocating from NC to International Falls MN!

Postby hecalder on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:32 am

BBeckwith wrote:
Thunder71 wrote:
Thunderjohn wrote:We're just kidding you about the cold.
It's a dry cold.

Very dry, -30 feels no different than -10.

Welcome :twisted:

and -10 it T-Shirt weather :P

Yeah sure more like 10 t shirts at the same time.. The lowest I have been in is minus 18. And that was a few years ago.. And I felt like an ice cubes but after a few days as long as it was not windy I was okay.. Will take a week or 2 to get use to it.... I hope.
:ugeek:
hecalder

Re: Re: relocating from NC to International Falls MN!

Postby grousemaster on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:16 am

Welcome!

I hail from Waconia.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Re: relocating from NC to International Falls MN!

Postby Ironbear on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Welcome.... and do get your cars winterized, in MN, before the cold sets in. It is a pain when that wimpy southern windshield fluid freezes solid. Engine coolant that freezes up wouldn't be good either...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby hecalder on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks for all the information and advice! :)
hecalder

Postby Anokamnman on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:06 pm

You should do a daily blog chronicling everyday through the winter. I would read it. Lol. I will never forget my first winter here when I moved from georgia. It was hell. I was so cold. looking back, it was a warm winter that year.

Welcome to the forum.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby hecalder on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Anokamnman wrote:You should do a daily blog chronicling everyday through the winter. I would read it. Lol. I will never forget my first winter here when I moved from georgia. It was hell. I was so cold. looking back, it was a warm winter that year.

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah good idea, will start weekly than daily.. I will start it around september... :P
hecalder

Postby photogpat on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:52 pm

My Aunt & Uncle still live in the Falls, Grandma and Grandpa did too...its a great part of the State. I've got many fond memories of that area from when I was younger. Rainy Lake, Voyagers Nat'l Park,...Fort Francis for cheap beer (not so much anymore).

Block heater -- every car needs a block heater, and keep a heavy duty extention cord in the trunk for when you're visiting friends.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

relocating from NC to International Falls MN!

Postby tman on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:15 pm

Learn how to use jumper cables, too.

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby hecalder on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks, jumper cables I know how to use always keep a heavy duty set in my suv I will have to get the plug put in when I get there.. Thanks for all the tips and advice... Great support forum :)
hecalder

Postby snlit3 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:39 am

If you're not good at saving get a swear jar and carry it with you whenever you step outside.
snlit3

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:43 am

Check the age of you vehicle battery also. Make sure you drain and refill your washer fluid - I know warmer climates will sometimes just use plain water, as already mentioned get your radiator flushed and correct coolant mixture. If you did any lubrication of throttle linkages etc., check to see what you used.

Had a guy move into Mt. Iron from South Carolina in about October about 5 years back. Nice enough guy but he didn't check his truck out - all of the things mentioned froze up - replaced his washer resev., coolant resevior, radiator cracked, popped a frost plug on his engine, and had his throttle cable stick because he lubed it with some kind of grease that went uber viscous below 10 degrees - he almost wrecked the truck a couple of times before he got that fixed. His battery failed also.

Oh and almost forgot, check your tires to see if they will work in the snow. Lots of siping and an open tread pattern. Any good tire shop can tell you if you are good to go or may have problems.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby hecalder on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:51 pm

I am finally in International Falls! I had an issue with the house we first rented when we arrived it was not habitable literally.... So got stuck with the Penske truck and an extra 2 days in a hotel, the good thing is every one was very nice and helped us find a new house quickly. So waiting together my deposit back from the other guy.. Love the new house, have a room to call my own.. For my hobbies ;-). My neighbor across th. Street has a 40 acre lot that he hunts and looking forward to going with him!!! :mrgreen: well that is it for today, still unpacking should be all done by Friday! So far really glad we moved here!
hecalder

Postby Pezhead on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:45 am

Glad you got things worked out. Sounds like you'll have a good time.
Pezhead

Postby hecalder on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:00 pm

I signed up to take the permit carry class this coming sunday.. Also purchased a 3x9 - 40 nikon scope locally:-) getting ready hope I can go hunting in about 2-3 weeks. :)
hecalder

Postby photogpat on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:37 am

hecalder wrote:I signed up to take the permit carry class this coming sunday.. Also purchased a 3x9 - 40 nikon scope locally:-) getting ready hope I can go hunting in about 2-3 weeks. :)

Rifle Deer season doesn't start until the first weekend of November, easy there tiger. Save some for the rest of us! :D

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/index.html
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Previous

Return to Introductions