Hello From Saint Cloud

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Hello From Saint Cloud

Postby Swen on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:20 pm

Good to be here!

New to reloading but not to shooting. Hope to connect with some good folks here and learn a few things from the experts.

I shoot mainly .223 in ar platform(service and match rifles). 10mm which is now my only carry caliber, all glocks. Desert Eagle in .50AE. Will be buying or building a .308 bolt this summer, looking to get out and touch the target a little further. And a little later on .338 Lapua or .50 BMG if laws don't change and my bank account stays above water.

Mainly looking for advice and opinions on reloading all of the above calibers as learning to reload properly is my main goal in 2014. Currently have everything needed to reload and a dedicated room for it. I have no excuse as to why I waited so long to take the reloading path but I'm here now so time to get to work.

Was guided here by bigdawg58, a great guy to know.

Thanks. Swen
Swen

Re: Hello From Saint Cloud

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Thank you Swen and welcome to the forum. If you truly want the best advice and training in reloading I highly suggest you contact OldmanFCSA . He is located in Osceola, WI but what you learn from him will be worth every minute of the drive. There are a few here that can get you going with the basics, but from what you indicate you want to load and actually have it as accurate as possible, Oldman is the only way to go. He is a personal friend and my mentor in reloading. Without his help, I could not be loading ammo as well nor as accurate as it is. I can only hope to learn 1/3 of what he knows. Thankfully, he's more than willing to share it with us. If I can help in any way, feel free to ask. I'm far from an expert, but have learned an awful lot in a short period of time.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Swen on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Hey there BigDog58, good to hear from you again. I had bigdawg in my head as I know one on another forum, sorry.

Sounds like OldmanFCSA would be quite popular on youtube if he had a channel. I've watched a lot of ammosmith and iraqveteran8888 and others and have taken in what I can but it's nice to know there is a expert not too far away. I get to Chippewa Falls to Lauer Weaponry every now and then for ar parts and work and to visit so I may have to make a stop in Osceola on the way home. Hell he's just a hop and a skip from a relative in Forest Lake.

Yes, accuracy is my main concern right after safety as of course you already know I'm new in this reloading game. I will get started with basics and once I feel I'm worthy enough I may have to see if Oldman will have me over for an afternoon.

I will definitely keep in touch here and email, call or message anytime if you want. Busy as usual but got some good and well deserved"free time" coming up in spring and summer. Being I'm still waiting on my .223 brass, found a great local contact for once shot at amazing prices for current market. But for accuracy I will mostly likely need to step up to new Lapua brass or similar quality. Just way too ridiculous still in price. So I will be starting out with 10mm and .50AE as I have everything I need for those. Will post in reloading sometime this week and see if there are any .50AE people here. I'm having zero luck finding load data info of any kind for heavier grains, and the load data from the little falls shop hasn't came through yet so I may have to give Jerome a call back if I have no luck here. Even on the DE site there is nobody that reloads that heavy. I have 1,000 400 grain .500 Winchester platinum tip just waiting to be seated!

See you around here and there BigDog58.
Swen

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:02 pm

Thanks, BigDog58, for the personal reference.
Yes, I truly enjoy teaching reloading, especially the 50BMG as used in a sporting Target rifle.
I also have surplus ammo available, if reloading for it is for later in your plans.
Loading for accuracy with the 50BMG will take an entire day or more dependent on your needs.
It is NOT the same as loading your "aught-6".
A mistake on a 30 cal rifle will hurt you, a mistake on a 50 cal rifle will kill you.
A typical target load consists of 240 to 250 grains of cannon type gunpowder.
750 grain to 815 grain projectiles are standard for target use.
I teach brass-prep, the main source of accuracy for any rifle.

I have 223/5.56x45 brass if you need it.
I am willing to part with 1000 pieces of Lake City 2011 Mil-spec brass that was NEVER loaded, no primer or primer crimp.
But I need a reasonable offer SOON on that as I am currently loading about 6000 cases for various 223/5.56x45 rifles.

I am considering selling some of my presses, components, dies, etc., but not in a hurry yet.

I am available most weekdays for training and other times as negotiated with my wife.

I am soon starting my 50BMG Light Rifle modification and load development for it will occur when it gets warmer.
My Heavy, Unlimited, and Prone rifle will be altered slightly on chamber specs, trigger, scope rail, and cheek-piece.
I do my own machine work on my rifles.

Feel free to contact me here by PM, or better yet, by e-mail on: OldmanFCSA@aol.com
Hiway 95 from St.Cloud almost delivers you to my front door, after exiting onto Hiway 243 to Osceola, WI.
Learn from BigDog58, slow down while driving on icy roads, AND STAY ON THE ROAD.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Thunderjohn on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:41 pm

Welcome from Savage
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby Swen on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:52 am

Thanks so much for the comment OldmanFCSA. I will be emailing soon.

Thank you Thunderjohn.
Swen

Return to Introductions