Hi from Canada

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Hi from Canada

Postby Coldhead on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Hello! I'm a Canadian citizen who has been working in Minnesota for almost 5 years and just received approval for permanent residency in the U.S. this week.

Prior to leaving Canada, I owned a handful of firearms ranging from a VZ-58 (one of the few semi-auto rifles not heavily regulated in Canada) to a 1911. Since moving to MN I've been drooling over the plethora of AR variant rifles and pistols available down here that were either banned (any sub-compact pistol) or heavily regulated (AR-15) "back home". Now that I'm legally able to own firearms here, I'm interested in making some purchases. But I'd like to try before I buy. I'd welcome any suggestions on gun ranges and shops to check out that have helpful and friendly staff (an inordinate number of shops back home had weird or unfriendly people staffing them and I had a similar experience here while "window shopping") and a decent selection of firearms available to rent.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!
Coldhead

Re: Hi from Canada

Postby Grayskies on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:48 pm

Hello and grats on the PR :)
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:10 am

Depends on area of the cities. Bill's has a good selection of rentals.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Ghost on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:42 am

Welcome. Where are you located?
Ghost

Postby Coldhead on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:33 am

I'm in south Minneapolis currently.

My first purchase will likely be an AR or pistol (or both if my wife lets me). I thought there was a requirement to have a permit to purchase for an AR, but I can't find any information about that. In any case, at this point I'm not sure whether a permit to purchase or a permit to carry makes more sense. I am leaning towards a permit to purchase since I'd rather spend some time on the range and some time educating myself on relevant laws (and pitfalls) before even considering a PTC. My pistol back in Canada spent 99% of it's time locked up in a safe.
Coldhead

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:44 am

PTC class will give you all of the things you mentioned.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby westhope on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:50 am

A "Permit To Purchase" (P2P) is required to purchase an "Assault Rifle" or handgun in Minnesota from an FFL dealer. They are FREE from your local police or sheriff department. They are required by law to be issued in 7 days (I have known a few departments that take longer knowing state law says they must be issued in 7 days). They are valid for one year.

A "Permit To Carry" (P2C) in addition to allowing you to carry, acts as a Permit To Purchase. Training is required for a P2C, a maximum fee of $100 can be charged. They are applied for at your local sheriff's office.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the USA!
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Coldhead on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:31 am

I had the impression that most PTC classes wanted you to bring your own firearm. Are rentals commonly available for PTC?
Coldhead

Hi from Canada

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:18 pm

Coldhead wrote:I had the impression that most PTC classes wanted you to bring your own firearm. Are rentals commonly available for PTC?

Every instructor I ran into brings a firearm along for those that do not have one, just ask when you schedule.
gun_fan111v2

Postby ttousi on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:33 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:
Coldhead wrote:I had the impression that most PTC classes wanted you to bring your own firearm. Are rentals commonly available for PTC?

Every instructor I ran into brings a firearm along for those that do not have one, just ask when you schedule.

yup most of us provide one if needed..plus you can try different firearms
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby ShooterMcGavin on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:36 am

Very cool, I love visiting Canada, especially Vancouver. Welcome aboard!
Full time truck driver, part time hunter, part time Blogger
ShooterMcGavin

Return to Introductions