Greetings

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Re: Greetings

Postby Countryfried Frank on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:06 am

Pezhead wrote:Welcome from Shakopee. Once again I'm told to get a 1911. Now which one to I get?

You just pulled my string Pez. ;)

Some purists may disagree with me but as long as you have the 3 S's you are fine.

Steel
Single action
Single stack

Some folks like alloy frames but the additional mass of a steel frame makes for a different gun when you feel the recoil. I shot a officer size alloy frame 1911 and the perceived recoil was considerably heavier and sharper than my government. A steel framed government size is easy to shoot. When I took my wife shooting handguns for the first time I started her with a 1903 Colt chambering .32ACP (no .22 available that day) and worked her up to my 1911. She was having a bad day until the 1911. It was like a laser in her hands from the start. If you're looking for a concealed carry weapon I recommend a smaller, lighter firearm with a smaller, lighter caliber unless you are very experienced with small handguns.

Para makes some decent DA/SA 1911 look-alikes. If you are familiar with DA/SA offerings in other styles it may be attractive to you. I don't recommend it for that purpose. It loses the consistency when you fiddle with the action. I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, just realize that even though it may look similar it is not a 1911.

Double-stack mags are great if you plan on missing your target a lot but they come with a price. In .45ACP the grip becomes huge and the slide release, mag release and safety become difficult to operate unless you have very large hands. If it fits your hand get it but try a single stack first because I'll bet the single fits better.

One last thought on firing pin blocks. I have a Colt Series 80 with over 100,000 rds through it and there have been no problems related to the firing pin block and the trigger is just a hare heavier than a comparable series 70 but it still breaks crisply and cleanly. For a competition gun the slight heavier pull may steer you towards a Series 70 but for a carry, plinker or an all arounder I recommend one with the firing pin block.
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Postby hammAR on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 am

Need there be more said................

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby mnmike59 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:17 am

Hey Frank, Glad you found your way!
Are you ready for the Bacon? Official food of MNGT :P

Dirt
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Previous

Return to Introductions