Greetings from the Cities

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Greetings from the Cities

Postby sigsauersauce on Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Hello Everybody!

Well where to begin? My real name is Ben and I'm a pretty brand new shooter from the Minneapolis area. I've been interested in firearms most of my life and have shot once or twice, but I don't have much experience to draw off of. I'm a natural researcher, so any questions I or any of my shooting buddies have had I've usually been able to find an answer for online or in periodicals, but I'm looking forward to gleaning from some more experienced shooters. In case you're wondering, right now I'm shooting a Ruger GP-100 .357 Magnum revolver. Got it primarily for home defense and range shooting. Hopefully next year I'll venture into the CCP realm, and when I do I'm leaning heavily toward a Sig P229 in .40 S&W.

As a new shooter, I do have a lot of questions. For example, I have no idea where the best place to buy ammo in the cities is. Any pointers on that would be MUCH appreciated.

Well I think that's enough for an intro post. Looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully be able to contribute to the discussions.
"I ought never to act except in such a way that I could also will that my maxim should become a universal law."
sigsauersauce

Re: Greetings from the Cities

Postby rtk on Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:28 pm

:welcome:
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby justaguy on Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:48 pm

Welcome, glad you found us.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby David on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:16 pm

sigsauersauce wrote:For example, I have no idea where the best place to buy ammo in the cities is. Any pointers on that would be MUCH appreciated.

Hi Ben,

I don't know where the best place is, but I buy "standard" ammo at Walmart, and military surplus at Sportsman's Guide in South St. Paul. Bill's and Fleet Farm can have good deals sometimes, especially on cases. If I'm not in a hurry I'll order online from ammoman.com.

If I need something really difficult to find (like 8mm Nambu or something like that), there's a guy named Ken who usually has a table at most gun shows who has just about everything. He always wears a blue jumpsuit, so he's easy to find. Decent guy, too.

Welcome!
David

Postby SAM on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Welcome to the forum.
STAYIN' ALIVE DPS/BCA Approved Instructor Organization
NRA Instructor-Pistol-HFS-PPIH
NRA CRSO
N.D. Concealed and Dangerous Weapons Test Administrator
Mn. FAS Instructor
CSI P2C Instructor
Federal Law Enforcement Safety Act of 2004 Trainer
SAM

Location: Right smack-dab in the middle of deer f---ing heaven

Postby pastorpaul on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:57 pm

welcome. your site name piqued my interest. there are a few sig shooters here. i carry one of a couple i own most of the time.
j in J - pp

polish by heritage; american by birth; patriot by conviction; saved by grace through faith in Christ!
pastorpaul

Postby Pat Cannon on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Welcome from fellow Minneapolis resident & GP100 owner. Which GP100 do you have? Mine's a 3" stainless DAO and I love it.

Before I started reloading my own ammo, I usually bought mine at Galyan's (before it was Dick's) or at Walmart, or online.
Pat Cannon

Postby sigsauersauce on Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:Welcome from fellow Minneapolis resident & GP100 owner. Which GP100 do you have? Mine's a 3" stainless DAO and I love it.

Before I started reloading my own ammo, I usually bought mine at Galyan's (before it was Dick's) or at Walmart, or online.

I have the 6" stainless DA/SA. So far I am in love with it. Nice stock trigger, and the Hogue grips are fantastic. My single gripe is the front sight can be a little hard to see if the lighting isn't great. Any suggestion on a good low-light replacement?

David, thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to check them out!

I do agree with those of you who reload, it definitely seems like the best option. I'd like to look into that in the next year or so, see if I can find a used press somewhere for not much money and see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone!
"I ought never to act except in such a way that I could also will that my maxim should become a universal law."
sigsauersauce

Postby Thunderjohn on Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Welcome from Savage.
BTW, Ken (blue jump suit) retired a few months ago.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby Pat Cannon on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:29 pm

sigsauersauce wrote:I have the 6" stainless DA/SA. So far I am in love with it. Nice stock trigger, and the Hogue grips are fantastic. My single gripe is the front sight can be a little hard to see if the lighting isn't great. Any suggestion on a good low-light replacement?

I've painted mine with cheap day-glo nail polish, orange and lately yellow-green which I like a lot ($1.99 at Walgreen's). I'm jealous of you 'cause you have the easy-change front sight (the fixed-rear-sight GPs like mine have a regular old pinned front sight). If I had any money to spend I'd try a fiber optic sight.
Pat Cannon

Postby RobD on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:28 am

Welcome!
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby Pezhead on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:28 am

Welcome to the forum.
Pezhead

Postby ex-LT on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:52 am

Welcome aboard.

sigsauersauce wrote:Hopefully next year I'll venture into the CCP realm...

Just out of curiosity, what's a CCP?
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Bulldawg on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:48 am

Welcome from Zimmerman..
Bulldawg

Postby cyclerider06 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Welcome to the forum. I also have the GP100 in 6" stainless. Almost made the mistake of selling it recently. Glad I changed my mind on that.
cyclerider06

Next

Return to Introductions