Introduction

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Introduction

Postby Kytann on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:02 am

Hello.
I'd like to introduce myself.
I'm a mostly new Gun owner here in Minneapolis.
Little history, at least where it pertains to guns.
I am ex-military, but Navy, so we didn't really have much to do with guns. We shot a pistol for proficiency in boot camp one day, and that's it. Not much use for guns on a boat, as ricochets can be just as deadly as a direct shot. I got out of the Navy 18 years ago.
After that, a few years ago I bought my first firearm as an grown man. A 9mm Magnum Research Baby Eagle. I picked it because it looked cool, would work for home defense, fit into my hands very well, and 9mm ammo was cheap. The few times I did shoot it, i had a few problems. Failure to feed (FTF right?), failure to eject. And it would occasionally drop the magazine out of the magazine well. I had a friend who was into guns alot at the time and the magazine eject thing happened to him also, so that part wasn't user error. The FTE and FTF may have been my user error. I kept meaning to send it in for repairs, but never did. Eventually I just stopped shooting it, because it was embarrassing having to always clear out jams and such.
About a year ago my house was broken into, while I wasn't home. Among the things they stole was that pistol. Not a big deal, as I had fallen out of love with it. So when I went to replace it recently I decided I wanted a revolver this time.
I've done a ton of reading. I almost picked up a .44 magnum, but I convinced myself that it was too much of a step to go from tiny little 9mm up to a .44 Magnum. Eventually I picked out a Smith & Wesson Governor. Seems to me like it's a 325 Night Guard with the ability to shoot the .410 shells through it. The 325 was my second choice. I like the idea of the big and slow .45 ACP round. Big for stopping power, slow for no overpenetration. Same thing with the .410 rounds, especially the 000 buckshot made for these handguns. I know there are alot of people on various message forums who dislike .410 pistols, I've read tons of forum posts about them. I still wanted it.
So far, I really like it. I've gotten to shoot it only once. My Fiancee's family had a shooting day out on a family farm. I have to say, she is a better shot than I am. Anyway, the accuracy was much better than I thought a 2.75" barrel should've been. The .45 ACPs kicked like a kitten. About like I remember the 9mm semi-auto feeling. The long colts were a little rougher. And finally the previously mentioned Federal .410 000 Buckshot "personal handgun defense" rounds really had some kick. Last thing in the day is we shot some skeet, everybody else with shotguns, and me with the pistol. I had some birdshot in my pistol, and managed to get 2 out of the 20 clay pigeons that I shot at. Pretty good for a beginner with a pistol. I just aimed quick and shot early.
I also got to try my Finacee's 12 gauge shotgun. It was fun, but no more fun than the pistol. I got 1 of the three rounds I shot.
Anyway, I bought the Governor for home defense, and for playing around with at the range. Eventually I'd like to get my concealed carry permit. Not that the Governor is really that concealable, but it's smaller than I expected it to be. half an inch longer than the old 9mm, and lighter.
Tonight I'll be going to an actual range with paper targets to try and see how accurate I can be when I have an actual target and some range markings. I mostly bought a bunch of Federal .45ACP rounds, a bunch of moon clips, and a mooning / demooning tool, as .45ACP is the main round I plan on using. Wish me luck
Kytann

Re: Introduction

Postby ex-LT on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:42 am

Welcome aboard from another former member of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. :salute: :flag:
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Welcome aboard. When I was in the Army (1976-79), we didn't see a pistol in Basic Training, it was just M16A1.

And are you saying that Under Seige is not 100% technically plausible?
Pat Cannon

Postby bstrawse on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Welcome!
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Doc Harvey on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Greetings from another ex-swabbie. 20 years as a corpsman. Retired in 2005 after way too many trips to the middle east. This is a great forum and I'm sure you'll have fun here.
Doc Harvey

Introduction

Postby markhawkeyeordnance on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Welcome and thanks for your service

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
markhawkeyeordnance

Postby Kytann on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:19 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:Welcome aboard. When I was in the Army (1976-79), we didn't see a pistol in Basic Training, it was just M16A1.

Which would make sense for the Army. After all, you used M-16's. Whereas Navy we just got to play with the small guns.

And your second sentence doesn't make sense. Please restate the question? What do you mean by Under Seige?
Kytann

Postby Thunderjohn on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:58 am

Thanks for your service and welcome from Savage.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby Vikingsfan93 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Thank you for your service and welcome from Saint Paul!
Vikingsfan93

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:46 am

Thank you for your service and welcome from Edina
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:08 am

Kytann wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:Welcome aboard. When I was in the Army (1976-79), we didn't see a pistol in Basic Training, it was just M16A1.

Which would make sense for the Army. After all, you used M-16's. Whereas Navy we just got to play with the small guns.

And your second sentence doesn't make sense. Please restate the question? What do you mean by Under Seige?

Under Siege is a movie with lots of gunfights on a battleship, in which I don't remember anybody being concerned about ricochets. Steven Seagal plays the ship's cook, who's the toughest SEAL in the world, but he's been busted to cook for being too badass to be a SEAL, or something. I just assumed they showed it in Navy boot camp.
Pat Cannon

Postby Kytann on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:Under Siege is a movie with lots of gunfights on a battleship, in which I don't remember anybody being concerned about ricochets. Steven Seagal plays the ship's cook, who's the toughest SEAL in the world, but he's been busted to cook for being too badass to be a SEAL, or something. I just assumed they showed it in Navy boot camp.

Ah a movie. Never seen it.

All I know about ricochets on a boat is what they told me in the Navy. Never tried it myself.
But you do know movies aren't very realistic right?

Then again I was shooting some steel plates just last weekend and the bullets didn't bounce off, they disintegrated in a cloud of lead. So who knows.
Kytann

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Kytann wrote:...But you do know movies aren't very realistic right?

:)
Pat Cannon

Postby DoxaPar on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:23 pm

Welcome!
DoxaPar

Return to Introductions