Hi. Looking for longer rifle range

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Re: Hi. Looking for longer rifle range

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Question:

With all the Competition Groups shooting at 1000 yards, What are the Group Sizes for 5-shots Center-to-center?

Within the FCSA we have 4 different Classes of Competition, Light, Hunter, Heavy, and Unlimited (most shooters shoot their Heavy guns in Unlimited also) with Score and Group Records posted on our website (http://www.fcsa.org).
Light= 2.178" 298-18X
Hunter= 2.992" 297-13X
Heavy= 1.955" 299-17X
Unlimited= 2.045" 300-15X
Group size listed is for Single Target, Score is total for Six Targets shot in two days.

Again just Curious about other groups and how they record their Group Sizes and Total Scores. (NOT LOOKING FOR BRAGGING RIGHTS). My best group is 4.938" and score was 285, so I've still got a lot to learn. Let's go Shooting.
OldmanFCSA

Re: Hi. Looking for longer rifle range

Postby Erud on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:39 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:Question:

With all the Competition Groups shooting at 1000 yards, What are the Group Sizes for 5-shots Center-to-center?

Within the FCSA we have 4 different Classes of Competition, Light, Hunter, Heavy, and Unlimited (most shooters shoot their Heavy guns in Unlimited also) with Score and Group Records posted on our website (http://www.fcsa.org).
Light= 2.178" 298-18X
Hunter= 2.992" 297-13X
Heavy= 1.955" 299-17X
Unlimited= 2.045" 300-15X
Group size listed is for Single Target, Score is total for Six Targets shot in two days.

Again just Curious about other groups and how they record their Group Sizes and Total Scores. (NOT LOOKING FOR BRAGGING RIGHTS). My best group is 4.938" and score was 285, so I've still got a lot to learn. Let's go Shooting.

Doug,
The 1000 yard matches at GRC are shot for score, not group size so there isn't really any way to make a direct comparison. I believe they do hold some bench rest matches there, but I do not know anything about those. Typical course of fire for the Long Range prone and F-Class matches would be 20 rounds for record in a time limit of 30 minutes. 200-20x would be the best possible score. MN State record for 1000yd prone is 200-14 which was fired just last summer. I don't know what the F-class record is, but it's probably somewhere in that same neighborhood. You don't see 200's very often at 1000 yards. F-Class Open is fired from the ground with the rifle on rests, F-TR with a bipod and rear bag. Both types of F-Class are shot with scopes. Prone shooters will be shooting from the traditional prone position in a shooting coat, supporting the rifle completely with their own body and a sling. Prone shooters will generally be using iron sights(fancy ones), but some matches allow a scope to be used on a prone rifle. I have found that my scores are worse with a scope, so I stick with irons all the time even if scopes are allowed. This is not uncommon, as the MN state LR "Any Sight" (scopes allowed) trophy is won by iron sight shooters about 50% of the time.

The 10 ring on the LR target is 20" and the X-ring is 10". The spotter used to mark the shot is a 5" circle, and it's not unheard of for a good shooter in a good condition to plug it 5+times in a row. That's probably about the best group size reference I can give, but it's really apples to potatoes, as they say.
Erud

Previous

Return to Introductions