Heading to the Homestead

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Re: Heading to the Homestead

Postby my1stpistol on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:31 pm

homestead wrote:thanks for all the great comments! Today I applied for a PTP.

I now know AR-15 vs. shotgun for home defense is an ongoing debate - live and learn. On the homestead it does seem like between the two, assuming I can use it properly, the AR-15 might be the better way to go. And portable enough that we could bring it with us if we feel like we might have an encounter...

I will take the advice not to worry about a small single stack for concealment, at least for now.

Also, I appreciate the advice to get a 22 rifle. Fortunately my Great Uncle handed one down through the family that I shot as a kid, so I will have that on hand.

BTW I had never heard of Alex Pro Firearms, that is cool to see an MN machine shop turning out complete rigs. Does anyone have one of the econos? A friend also suggested PSA to order parts to build something, but I don't know well enough what I 'need' for this application to know what I'd get.

For a local shop I had been thinking of going to DKMAGS as we have family in the area. Any experience with them? Any other good shops around the SE cities (where we are currently as we transition)?

I've bought 1 gun an a couple accessories from them when I worked up the road from there. Very nice guys and great customer service. They don't have a ton of guns on hand but can get anything and prices are good.
my1stpistol

Postby homestead on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:45 pm

hi all, quick update.

Received PTP today so I stopped by DKMAGS to pick up the Glock 19. Also handled the Alex Pro Econo Carbine which he said they try to keep in stock. Seems very nice! Didn't look at 10/22's or ask about used ones although I meant to. I will keep poking around.

@yuppiejr Thanks for the Husqvarna link, I will end up with something like that for sure.
We are fans of Wranglerstar's channel too.

Also: We found the True Value Hardware in "down town" Two Harbors is great! Multiple levels/buildings, and pretty much anything you could imagine for plumbing, electrical, automotive, you name it.

We will be up on the homestead this weekend so maybe I'll post a few pictures.
homestead

Postby homestead on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:52 pm

Another update: I picked up a Colt LE6920MPS-FDE as well as a Serpa OWB holster for the Glock 19 from @thunderjohn at Southwest Arms last night. Going to be doing carry classes as well as additional defensive-type training, hopefully some of which will include the older kids. No fancy lights or optics in the plan for now, nor even a 10/22 as I need to focus on some basic building infrastructure and road repair now. Although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't planning a 10/22 sometime over the next 6mo so the kids have something a little more accessible.

I have some old historical documents on the area going back to the 1880's indicating that one of the largest bears in MN was seen there in the 1930's. I'm sure they are much more sparse now, but they're out there.

Cheers!
homestead

Previous

Return to Introductions